[Solved + Issue] Tile printing with overlap

Discuss the drawing application
SacramentoRob

[Solved + Issue] Tile printing with overlap

Post by SacramentoRob »

hi Folks,

I need to print a large flowchart that spills over on to 16 pages. I then need to cut the boarders off several of the pages and tape them together to hang on a wall. It would make my life much simpler and the quality of the finished product nicer for me if the printing on each page overlapped, maybe I should say duplicated, the neighboring pages some. If there was overlap, I could cut across the printing, lay one page on top of the next and tape it there. As it is now, I need to cut right at the edge of the printing. If the page break falls in the middle of an intricate item, it is very hard to get the printing to line up across the page break.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
/Rob
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows W2k
acknak

Re: Tile printing with overlap

Post by acknak »

There are no workarounds that I know of.

Relevant issues:
Issue 35616: Posterized printing skips pages
Issue 58989: Add Tile Printing "Overlap" Option

The first one is a long-standing bug that may or may not bite you. The second is the enhancement that you're interested in.

You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.

It should be possible to take OOo's Postscript output and perform a "poster-printing" transformation on it, but I have never been able to locate a utility for doing that.
 Edit:  
PS: Here's what I was thinking of: Poster is a small utility for making a poster -- a large printed image -- from an EPS file or a one-page PS document.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
nanowit

Post by nanowit »

I found a neat solution to printing a multi-page poster. I create it in Draw, first defining the size of the poster, length and height. Then I export it to PDF. Then I open it in Adobe PDF Reader, click to print as a poster, preview the layout, and print. It comes off with about 1/8" blank space on the edges that can be cut off on one side to tape onto the adjacent page.
Louis Johnson
Openoffice 3.4.0
Windows 7
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good suggestion. Thanks for sharing it!
ollyl

Re: [Solved + Issue] Tile printing with overlap

Post by ollyl »

I found a neat solution to printing a multi-page poster. I create it in Draw, first defining the size of the poster, length and height. Then I export it to PDF. Then I open it in Adobe PDF Reader, click to print as a poster, preview the layout, and print. It comes off with about 1/8" blank space on the edges that can be cut off on one side to tape onto the adjacent page.

Thanks so much for this suggestion! I was wondering if it's possible to print without the 1/8" blank space on the edges?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: [Solved + Issue] Tile printing with overlap

Post by acknak »

... print without the 1/8" blank space on the edges?
This is often a limitation of the printer: many (most?) will not apply ink across the entire piece of paper.

If you need a seamless poster, you may want to look into a print service with a large-format printer.