Finer scale on ruler

Discuss the drawing application
GrandpaKim

Finer scale on ruler

Post by GrandpaKim »

I am using the "inch" scale on Draw. The fractional inches are in tenths. I would like to change this to sixteenths or thirty seconds. How do I do that?
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows XP
acknak

Re: Finer scale on ruler

Post by acknak »

Sorry, there's no way to change the divisions shown on the rulers.

What is it you're trying to do? There's likely some alternative way to set/view a measurement, if that's what you need.

The rulers in OOo are not terribly helpful.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can select mm/cm as a ruler scale, but if you think in sixteenths/thirty-seconds metric may not come instinctively to you. You can also go to points, which are 1/72 inch.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
GrandpaKim

Post by GrandpaKim »

My first reaction is to say you must be joking, but I can see you are guileless. So be it. As acknak said, the rulers aren't all that useful anyway. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It depends what you are drawing or setting out; if working for type layout using old fashioned lead or timber type one certainly might work in points or picas. If of the old school working for timber one might use sixteenths or thirty-seconds of an inch.
alg

Post by alg »

The rulers have context menues (right-click there) to allow changing the unit on the fly. For using unusual distances you may have a look at the grid definitions, in tools/optins/(draw|impress)/grid. You can choose wildest combinations there.

HTH!
OpenOffice 3.3/3.4 on various systems
CannedMan

Post by CannedMan »

@GrandpaKim: I came here looking for a solution to the same problem. I work in points, and therefore use inches (even though I’m Norwegian) on my rulers, because they work better with points (as RoryOF obviously is oblivious to). It seems the only viable option is changing the ruler to points, as you at least get a measurement that easily converts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 / LibreOffice 7.0.0.3 on Windows 10 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not at all oblivious to points - I can think in inches, points, mm as necessary for the job in hand.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I'm obviously oblivious to something here. Suppose the rulers were changed to show reciprocal powers of two as the OP asked for. What would you do with it? How would it help?

I understand the principle, that tenths of inches are not the most useful scale, but I still don't see what difference it makes in practice.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23