[Issue+workaround] Printing shifts 1/4" to left

Discuss the drawing application
jakepaint

[Issue+workaround] Printing shifts 1/4" to left

Post by jakepaint »

When I print everything on the page shifts 1/4" inch. I've tried on 4 different printers, all have the same issue. So far I've had to compensate for the problem by shifting everything in the design 1/4". This was happening in oo2.3 and I had hoped that upgrading to 2.4 would solve it; unfortunately no. My page margins are set at 1/4". I tried setting them at 2" just to see what happens, and that actually made the problem go away. The problem is that I need my margins at 1/4" usually. If this helps: the program seems to increase the page margin I set by, say, 1/5 inch.
Help! Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Jake P.

Using Windows XP, Oo 2.4
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: printing shifts 1/4" to left

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Check your document paper size and physical paper size. It sounds like you're printing A4 on US Letter paper or vice versa.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
jakepaint

Post by jakepaint »

I don't think this is it because:
- This problem doesn't happen with OO Write or any other program
- When I check the settings (in Draw) under Format:Page... the format is set at letter (which is what I want).
- When I check the settings under File:PrinterSettings:Properties:Advanced the format is set at letter.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

On the page format dialogue, do you have "Fit object to paper format" checked? That would resize everything in the drawing to fill the paper, and that could increase the margins if the drawing is smaller than the paper.
FitObjects.png
FitObjects.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 7129 times
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
jakepaint

Post by jakepaint »

No, this box is not checked (and I've never used that feature either)
acknak

Post by acknak »

Well, you're not crazy: I see exactly the same thing. Setting the measurement unit to "inch" and the left page margin to 0.25" causes everything to print at an incorrect position: shifted left by 0.25".

Changing the left margin to 0.26" or changing the measurement unit to "centimeter" causes the printed output to have the correct position again.

Time to go check for bug reports...
 Edit:  
PS: Ok, I couldn't find any, and I had a simple test document handy, so I just filed it: Issue 87668: printed position is incorrect when page margin is 0.25".

I'd appreciate it if someone else could check that sample document, follow the instructions there, and leave a comment on that issue if you see (or don't see) the problem. It's such a weird thing, I can hardly believe my own tests.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jakepaint

Post by jakepaint »

Thanks Acknak! I feel much better knowing that I'm not an idiot after all, and that someone else indeed thinks this is very bizzare behavior! Hooray! :D
Until it's fixed, I'll simply set the margin at .26"

-Jake