[Solved] Getting picture online

Discuss the drawing application
writ

[Solved] Getting picture online

Post by writ »

There is a website that shows a graphic of your internet speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/

I want to use paint to crop the screen so I only get the graphic containing my speed numbers.

There is a online forum where I would like to post this graphic with my speed numbers.

I've cropped the picture in paint.but when I copy>>paste it into My Pictures

I get a file{the file is called scrap object} of the picture which I have to open,how would I get the picture only into My Pictures without the file.

I would just like the picture so I can upload it to Image Shack and then download to the forum.

Or is there a completely different way to getting a cropped picture online.
Last edited by writ on Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
openoffice 2.3.1 - operating system Windows xp Home
acknak

Re: Getting picture online

Post by acknak »

I assume when you wrote "paint" you're actually referring to OpenOffice.org Draw? What is the name shown across the very top frame of the window?

In OOo Draw, once you have cropped the image down to the part you want, and adjusted the size so the the image is clear, then select the image and do File > Export. Choose a graphics file type (e.g. GIF, JPEG or PNG) and enter a name for the file, e.g. "myspeed". Then OK.

Note that OOo Draw can do this, but it is not really the best tool for this job. In fact, on Windows, even the standard Windows Paint program is better, because it's made specifically for editing images.
Cropped and exported with OOo Draw
Cropped and exported with OOo Draw
clip.png (42.38 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
writ

Post by writ »

acknak wrote:I assume when you wrote "paint" you're actually referring to OpenOffice.org Draw? What is the name shown across the very top frame of the window?

In OOo Draw, once you have cropped the image down to the part you want, and adjusted the size so the the image is clear, then select the image and do File > Export. Choose a graphics file type (e.g. GIF, JPEG or PNG) and enter a name for the file, e.g. "myspeed". Then OK.

Note that OOo Draw can do this, but it is not really the best tool for this job. In fact, on Windows, even the standard Windows Paint program is better, because it's made specifically for editing images.
clip.png
I have the image in Paint.I don't know how to use Paint.Can you give explicit instructions on how to crop{export,choose file type,save etc with the goal of posting it online.
Last edited by writ on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Post by acknak »

If you have the image cropped and sized the way you want in OOo Draw, then do
1) File > Export
2) Enter a name for the file, where it says "File Name"
3) Underneath the file name, there is a button "File Type". Click that and choose whatever image format type you want.
4) Click OK to save your image

For a small image, it really doesn't matter what image format you use, any of the common ones (GIF, PNG or JPEG) should be fine. PNG is newer and works well for this kind of situation, so that's what I used, but it is also less-widely supported, so JPEG might be my second choice.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
writ

Post by writ »

acknak wrote:If you have the image cropped and sized the way you want in OOo Draw, then do
1) File > Export
2) Enter a name for the file, where it says "File Name"
3) Underneath the file name, there is a button "File Type". Click that and choose whatever image format type you want.
4) Click OK to save your image

For a small image, it really doesn't matter what image format you use, any of the common ones (GIF, PNG or JPEG) should be fine. PNG is newer and works well for this kind of situation, so that's what I used, but it is also less-widely supported, so JPEG might be my second choice.
Ok got it,I used Paint though.After I cropped Picture>>Edit>>Copy To>>My Pictures.That did the trick the cropped image was now on my hard drive.Thanks for all your help and patience.