[Solved] Importing PDF files to edit them

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] Importing PDF files to edit them

Postby Germund » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:13 am

I just downloaded OO 3.0, and the import PDF extension, and have been unable to figure out how to import a PDF file into Draw. I have not found anything in the help file in regard to this, nor, after about an hour of searching been able to find anything on the Open Office web site. Is there an instruction on how to do this somewhere? I have tried just opening the PDF in Draw, and the program crashes.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Linux
Germund

Re: importing PDF files to edit them

Postby acknak » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:46 am

Have you installed the PDF import extension?

If you did, then when you use File > Open, "PDF - Portable Document Format" will appear in the list of file types (at the bottom of the text document section), and you can simply select a PDF file and open it. It will always open in OOo Draw.

If you did all that, and you're still getting crashes, then you should report the problem to the people working on the extension. There's a link on the extension's info page, that links to a GullFOSS article that requests feedback on the mailing list dev@graphics.openoffice.org, which you would need to join or subscribe to before you can send mail.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: importing PDF files to edit them

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:27 am

I just opened a 182 page PDF (a book) without any problem.

There are lots of differnt kinds of PDF files produced by all kinds of different programs. It is unlikely that the OpenOffice extension could ever open them all. If you cannot open any PDF files, then remove and reinstall the extension. Otherwise, just try a few different PDF files.

Open the ones that your having trouble with in Adobe Reader, and check the PDF producer in document properties. If possible, post a link to the PDF for others to test it.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Importing PDF files to edit them

Postby Germund » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Thank you, I was able to open one now. The one I wanted to open was very graphics heavy. I'm thinking perhaps that that may be the problem.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Linux
Germund

Re: Importing PDF files to edit them

Postby TheGurkha » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:49 pm

Be aware that the extension is intended for very light editing of PDFs. That is, things like opening a PDF to correct a typo, not full-scale editing of a PDF!
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Return to Draw