[Solved] Duplicate Themes on install/update

Discuss the drawing application
nobby6

[Solved] Duplicate Themes on install/update

Post by nobby6 »

Hi,
For years, when I update, or fresh install into /opt a new release of AOO, in Draw, themes, I always get duplicates of -
Arrows
Diagrams
Environment
People
Textshapes
Transport

Only those ones duplicate, even if I wipe out /opt/openoffice and fresh install they re-appear doubled up

clicking on properties indicate they both come from same place, /opt/openffice/.../gallery/sg12.sdg

and this time I am deciding to work out why, as it is rather annoying, anyone have any ideas ?
Last edited by nobby6 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on linux Slackware64
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Duplicate Themes on install/update

Post by Bill »

nobby6 wrote:...they both come from same place, /opt/openffice/.../gallery/sg12.sdg...
The path on my system is "/opt/openoffice4/.../gallery/sg12.sdg". Do you have two paths, one with "/opt/openoffice/" and another with "/opt/openoffice4/"?

What are the full paths for "Gallery" and "Graphics" in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

On xubuntu 21.04, the standard 7.0 version points to /opt/libreoffice7.0/program/../share/gallery/arrows.sdg for example.
With 7.2 installed with the deb packages, I see the gallery but right-clicking the folders makes it crash!
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
nobby6

Post by nobby6 »

Bill wrote:
nobby6 wrote:...they both come from same place, /opt/openffice/.../gallery/sg12.sdg...
The path on my system is "/opt/openoffice4/.../gallery/sg12.sdg". Do you have two paths, one with "/opt/openoffice/" and another with "/opt/openoffice4/"?

What are the full paths for "Gallery" and "Graphics" in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths?
Hi,
My typo bad, yes /opt/openoffice4

The paths for Gallery and Graphics do not reflect /opt, they show same location, being - /home/noel/.openoffice/4/user/gallery

This location only has my 5 custom galleries sg4012x. (sdg, sdv, thm) and the subdirs with the custom images, so does not appear to be source of doubles, I have a few extensions but they are in the uno_packages directory <-- some of these are circuit diag and electrical and data symbols and things like that, I cant seem to locate half of them anymore so I am very hesitant to wipe out my homedir .openoffice tree, especially wqhen problem I dont think is there - but i'm happyto be proved wrong if there is some decade old fancy caching going on in some hidden out the way dir.
nobby6

Post by nobby6 »

OK, i'm now thinking something in the home dir is caching this, I just created a new user, logged in and no duplicates, however its plain new user ie no extensions or customization.

So looks like there is home dir caching somewhere of those themes, but im damned if I can see where
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The new user will have a fresh profile, which suggests the issue may be in your user profile.

As a quick test, close AOO and, logged in as your normal user - not the new one you just created - and rename ~/.openoffice/4/user to e.g. /.openoffice/4/user.bak and restart AOO. You should be asked for name details and AOO will build a new profile. If the problem still persists, the issue isn't with your profile and you can restore the old profile.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
nobby6

Post by nobby6 »

robleyd wrote:The new user will have a fresh profile, which suggests the issue may be in your user profile.

As a quick test, close AOO and, logged in as your normal user - not the new one you just created - and rename ~/.openoffice/4/user to e.g. /.openoffice/4/user.bak and restart AOO. You should be asked for name details and AOO will build a new profile. If the problem still persists, the issue isn't with your profile and you can restore the old profile.
Thanks, no dupes, so it confirms there is some weird caching in my user profile for those themes for some reason, now... just to find them.
nobby6

Post by nobby6 »

nobby6 wrote:
robleyd wrote:The new user will have a fresh profile, which suggests the issue may be in your user profile.

Thanks, no dupes, so it confirms there is some weird caching in my user profile for those themes for some reason, now... just to find them.

It seems to be coming from an openoffice extension, I could find the extra Arrow, but I cant find anything to do with the others in its cache or any directory related to this extension, damn weird! however disabling that ext suppresses the dupes
To remedy the situation I (painfully) went through the thm files for the electronics themes in that extension and copied each of the related files into the /user/gallery, removed the extension, and so far appears all good.

Not sure why it was duplicating when there was no trace, I guess it writes to some other master style registry file, which much link to it, as per my O.P. the file properties all pointed to same location under /opt/openoffice4/..

So for time being that strange one is sorted, however it would be nice for future reference if anyone knows why it was so, or what file that info might be stored in. (I have rolling 7 day nightly backups so I can try the broken one again if need be.)

That extension was installed in 2013, maybe those themes were not in the original OO back then.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well done!
Indeed, such an old extension may still contain old configuration files that were dropped with an upgrade in the AOO configuration later.

You can first check if that extension has been updated. If not, you can try to tweak it: check the files inside and deactivate the parameter that could hint for the duplication of the gallery sections. The advantage is that in the future if you need to reinstall the extension, your customized one won't duplicate the gallery.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
nobby6

Post by nobby6 »

Hagar Delest wrote:Well done!
Indeed, such an old extension may still contain old configuration files that were dropped with an upgrade in the AOO configuration later.

You can first check if that extension has been updated. If not, you can try to tweak it: check the files inside and deactivate the parameter that could hint for the duplication of the gallery sections. The advantage is that in the future if you need to reinstall the extension, your customized one won't duplicate the gallery.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
Since I've been updating forever so it was bound to happen, just not being able to find half of them threw me, but yep all good now :)