[Solved] Prevent rotation of objects

Discuss the drawing application
kaithu

[Solved] Prevent rotation of objects

Post by kaithu »

Hi, I want to prevent all rotation of objects. No red handles at all. I seem to remember that there is a way, well hidden, but I can't remember where.
Open Office 4.1.1 Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Prevent rotation of objects

Post by Zizi64 »

Position and Size - Prevent - Position.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

Thanks for the answer, but that seems to operate only on one object. I want to prevent rotation for the all objects.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to select all the objects?
Seems to work fine with LO 7.0.6.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

I have often many pages with text objects and pictures (genealogical research). I 'm almost certain that there is a way to prevent rotation for the whole file (at least that there was one 10 years ago).
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

Hi again, To test my theory that there is a way to prevent rotation for a whole document I did this:
1. I opened an old (10 years or so) OOdraw doc, where I had used the prevention I described. If I click on an object, the frame gets green dots, if I click again the dots are still green.
2. I then opened a recent document. If I click on an object, the frame gets green dots, if I click again the dots become red, I can rotate the object.
3. I then copied a few pages from the second doc to the first. If I click twice on any object on the inserted pages, the frame dots stay green. Rotation, which was possible in the second document, is no longer possible.

So there must be a setting in the first document, which prevent the rotation. Frustrating!

I remember that I asked some support people for a solution 10-15 years ago, and I think there was a setting in some menu.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

At the time you remember, Rotation had not been implemented.

Wanting something doesn't make it happen.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What do you know the Layers? You can hide, lock the layers to prevent the accidental modifying objects located on a specific layer.

Move the objects into a new layer, and then lock the layer.

A new layer will be appeared on every pages. When you lock a Layer on one page, the Layer will be locked on every page.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

To RoryOF: Rotation WAS implemented at that time. The reason I implemented the prevention was taht I very often had to rearrange objects and when I did that they very often were rotated somewhat. (Wanting, and researching, something very often makes it happen).

To Zizi64: Thanks, I will look at that. But it's definitely not the solution I implemented long ago.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Look on the Options Toolbar.

@kaithu: Click the "View your posts" link above and you should find this:

[Solved] How to effect no text rotation?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

Wow, thanks a lot Bill. Didn't realize that I could view my old posts. Quite solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

You can't disable rotation as such, but you can use the stepwise rotation feature with 360° steps. The red handles will still appear, but rotation will be restricted to "full circle", which for this situation is equivalent to "rotation disabled".

Menu selection Tools - Options, Expand Draw - Grid. Tick rotation and enter 360.

Depending on Draw version it may fall back to 180°step, which should still be sufficient to protect against most cases of accidental rotation.