[Solved] Can’t download/open Draw, only OpenOffice

Discuss the drawing application
typographer

[Solved] Can’t download/open Draw, only OpenOffice

Post by typographer »

I want to download OpenOffice Draw, but the website keeps directing me to OpenOffice.

If you go to the product page: https://www.openoffice.org/product/draw.html

…and click Download, it takes you to: https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

…which is a download page for OpenOffice, not OpenOffice Draw.

Where do I download OpenOffice Draw?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
robleyd

Re: Can’t download/open

Post by robleyd »

Draw, along with the other components like Calc, Writer et al., is but a part of the OpenOffice office suite. You can't download parts of it separately.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, although one can attempt a "Custom Install", the saving in disk space is trivial, and one might lose functionality in the selected component due to the absence of the remainder of the suite.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
typographer

Post by typographer »

Apologies in advance. Either I don’t understand, or I’m not communicating clearly. I downloaded OpenOffice. If OpenOffice Draw is “part of the suite” and “can’t be downloaded separately,” I must be doing something wrong, as there’s no trace of it on my HD anywhere. All that downloaded was OpenOffice.

Have I gone to the wrong download page?

Also, how do you reply to a specific post, as opposed to the entire thread?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To reply to a specific post, Quote it.

Have you installed OpenOffice after download? It would help if we knew what operating system you were using, as we could then give more directed replies.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice (and its successor LibreOffice) is one program which opens text documents, spreadsheets, vector graphics and presentations. When you open a text document, you see the Writer component, spreadsheets are handled by the Calc component, presentations by Impress, drawings by Draw. If you have many types of documents loaded and one of the component crashes, the other components will crash too simply because they are instances of the same process.

After installing the entire office suite, you shoudl see different starter icons for Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw which start the same application with different types of documents. Draw is just a tiny addition. You can create and edit vector graphics in all the components. Editing such graphics in a draw window makes the editing process easier and the result can be copied into Writer, Calc and Impress.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
typographer

Post by typographer »

“To reply to a specific post, Quote it.”

I must be having a bad communication day. When you say “quote it” do you mean “copy the post you want to respond to, start a new post, paste the copied text in quotation marks, then compose your reply below,” or do you mean “click that minuscule 5 pixel high icon in the top right hand corner of the post you want to reply to.”? I get the feeling this is something that’s very familiar to you, and you’re communicating to someone you think knows exactly the same things you do. I’m completely new, and this is only my third post. Start from there. I clicked the tiny “quote” icon, but that opened up a bizarre looking window of what appeared to be code, so I promptly closed it.

“Have you installed OpenOffice after download?”

Yes

“It would help if we knew what operating system you were using, as we could then give more directed replies.”

Mac 10.12.6
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

typographer wrote:“To reply to a specific post, Quote it.”
The grey quote box is made from this text:

Code: Select all

[quote="typographer"]“To reply to a specific post, Quote it.”[/quote]
Click "Post Reply" instead of "Quick Reply" and you get some buttons which generate the tags for you.

---
On topic: If you run the same install.exe again, you get options to repair or modify the existing installation
Last edited by Villeroy on Tue May 04, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
typographer

Post by typographer »

Edit: Added formatting tags to show this part was quoted -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Villeroy wrote:OpenOffice (and its successor LibreOffice) is one program which opens text documents, spreadsheets, vector graphics and presentations. When you open a text document, you see the Writer component, spreadsheets are handled by the Calc component, presentations by Impress, drawings by Draw. If you have many types of documents loaded and one of the component crashes, the other components will crash too simply because they are instances of the same process.

After installing the entire office suite, you shoudl see different starter icons for Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw which start the same application with different types of documents. Draw is just a tiny addition. You can create and edit vector graphics in all the components. Editing such graphics in a draw window makes the editing process easier and the result can be copied into Writer, Calc and Impress.
After installing OpenOffice I only see one icon for OpenOffice, and nothing else. Should I have downloaded LibreOffice instead? Where do I download this?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I definitively prefer LibreOffice: https://libreoffice.org/ which is the same application but several development years ahead. Install it completely with all major components.
typographer

Post by typographer »

Click "Post Reply" instead of "Quick Reply" and you get some buttons which generate the tags for you.”

Where is the “Post Reply” button you’re referring to? When I click the “Post Reply” button in the bottom left corner of the screen, if starts composing a reply to the thread, which is not what I want to do. What I’m looking for is a “reply to this comment” button, if that makes any sense.

On topic: If you run the same install.exe again, you get options to repair or modify the existing installation

Incorrect. When I run the installer a second time it does not give me these options. It simply opens a window with an OpenOffice icon, and an arrow prompting me to drag it on top of an alias of my Documents folder. This begins the installation. Following this, there is only the same single OpenOffice icon in the Documents folder, and no other icons for Draw &c.
typographer

Post by typographer »

I definitively prefer LibreOffice: https://libreoffice.org/ which is the same application but several development years ahead. Install it completely with all major components.”

Good to know for future reference. For the time being, it will most likely be more fruitful if we maintain focus on the software I’m currently using, instead of recommending alternatives. If it turns out that the software I’m using can’t do what I need it to, I’ll certainly explore alternatives.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

OpenOffice is a complex tool. You would not expect to operate a complex tool like a forklift without reading the instructions would you?
Getting Started with OpenOffice
Draw Guide
typographer wrote:After installing OpenOffice I only see one icon for OpenOffice, and nothing else.
On MacOS, OpenOffice is one program containing many components. When you start it you will see this screen. Select the type of document you want to create. Choose Drawing to open the Draw component. The links above present more details about this process.
Start screen.jpg
You can open existing drawings in Finder and MacOS will launch OpenOffice and the Draw component will start. You can create new drawings in Finder after you create a drawing template in OpenOffice. File → Templates → Save stores your (presumably empty) drawing as a template. Use the Help button in the dialog to learn more. File → Templates → Organize lets you make the new template the default drawing template (press the "Command" button). Use the Help button in the Organize dialog to learn more. The default drawing template is the one which is used for new drawing in OpenOffice when you do not use any other template. You can declare individual default templates for Writer, Calc, Impress, and Draw. Templates are an important feature of OpenOffice. Read even more about them by searching for that subject in these forums. You will find a Search box in the upper right corner of every page.
typographer wrote:Mac 10.12.6
If you use OpenOffice on MacOS 10.12.6, when why does your signature have different information? When you provide bad information you may receive inappropriate advice. Do you really use NeoOffice, and ancient versions like OpenOffice 3.1, OpenOffice 2.4, and Vista? OpenOffice 2.4 was released in 2008! Fix your forum signature in User Control Panel → Profile → Edit Signature. I won't respond further until you've done that.
Bad signature.png
Villeroy wrote:I definitively prefer LibreOffice
Both OpenOffice and LibreOffice have a Draw component. They will be quite similar. You can install both office suites concurrently and see which you like better. Documents created in one can be opened by the other, though LibreOffice has introduced features which are not supported by OpenOffice. I don't use LibreOffice, but presumably their developers have described the new features they've implemented. If you open documents with Finder, the last suite you've installed with be the one which opens the document, but you can start the other and use File → Open.
typographer wrote:Where is the “Post Reply” button you’re referring to?
At the top and the bottom of the topic, left side of the screen.
typographer wrote:starts composing a reply to the thread, which is not what I want to do. What I’m looking for is a “reply to this comment” button, if that makes any sense.
You can only reply to the thread, but by quoting someone you indicate that the reply is directed to that specific remark. The easy way to quote is to highlight the desired text (scroll down below the Preview/Submit buttons) and use Quote. This will copy that text into your post with the quoting tags. Thus, as you read my post you can easily tell what remarks I am replying to. Please use this forum feature so your posts are easier for others to understand.
Quoting.png
RoryOF wrote:Also, although one can attempt a "Custom Install" …
Villeroy wrote:If you run the same install.exe again, you get options to repair or modify the existing installation
There is no installer on MacOS so there are no options to customize, repair, or modify. The options are not needed since all components are included in every OpenOffice installation on MacOS. There is no "Quickstarter" either, thus eliminating problems with that mis-feature on Windows installations.

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ, Q03/A03 (How do I install?) and Q05/A05 (unverified developer)
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Sorry, I was assuming a Windows OS. I have no idea how to install OpenOffice on a Mac. It should be installable like any other downloadable application.. Contrary to other software bundles, the result is one program with different components.
This is our Mac FAQ from one of our most valued forum members and dedicated user of OpenOffice on the Mac.
typographer wrote:Where is the “Post Reply” button you’re referring to? When I click the “Post Reply” button in the bottom left corner of the screen, if starts composing a reply to the thread, which is not what I want to do. What I’m looking for is a “reply to this comment” button, if that makes any sense.
While responding, there is a
button in every predecessor which inserts the message as a quote. You can also select a portion of text before hitting
as I did with your quote in this posting.