[Solved] Can't group objects

Discuss the drawing application
Bcd

[Solved] Can't group objects

Post by Bcd »

I was following a tutorial on Draw. I was attempting to combine and copy two items.
    I clicked on the two items to be combined (producing a Green Dot perimeter), and hit shift. The right click menu did not contain the "group" option as indicated in the tutorial.
    The "Modify" Menu on the top of the screen contained "group" as an option, but was not highlighted and therefore, was not available.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Bcd on Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Open office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
    FJCC

Re: Can't group objects

Post by FJCC »

Can you upload a file with a couple of objects that you cannot group? We can then check if others see the same behavior. To upload a file, click PostReply and look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
    OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
    If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
    Bill
    Volunteer

Post by Bill »

In my testing, the "Group" option appears when the mouse pointer is over one of the selected objects when right-clicking. "Group" does not appear when the mouse pointer is somewhere else.
    AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
    Your I.D.'s illegal

Post by Your I.D.'s illegal »

Click 1st object, hold ALT button while clicking 2nd object, release ALT button. Right click any of the highlighted objects and click -> Group.

You can also hold CTRL button and mark objects dragging with left mouse button.
    Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 win x86 on Windows 8.1 64bit
    Bcd

Post by Bcd »

Find file attached. Don't laugh at it's simplicity! :D I'm trying to group the blue oval (bottom left) with the white oval inside it, to be able to copy and move them as a unit. This was the task in the tutorial I was following. However, ultimately, I want combine the oval (top right) with the name inside it to be able to copy and move them.
    I tried the other suggestions (thanks for all the responses BTW!) without success. As I said in the OP, the only mention of "group" I find is in in the pull down menu on top of page, and "group" is not highlighted (available).
    Thanks again!
    Bill
    Attachments
    North Joaquin yard.odg
    (10.04 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
    FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Concerning the white oval and blue oval at the lower left of your file, I can click at the center of the white oval to select it, Shift + Click on the blue oval, then right click on the combined selection and select Group. Does that not work for you?
    OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
    If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
    Bill
    Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Bcd wrote:...ultimately, I want combine the oval (top right) with the name inside it to be able to copy and move them.
    The oval and the name "Westringa fruitcosa" inside are not separate items, so they can't be grouped. No Group option will be shown when right-clicking and Group will be grayed out in the Menu Bar. The same applies for the rectangle and the name "Window". The other rectangle and the name "Tool box" are separate items. They can be grouped.

The process described by FJCC works for me. Shift-clicking an object adds it to a selection. Alt-clicking does nothing.

Edit: There is already a copy of the oval with "Westringa fruitcosa". Move it and you will see the copy.
    Bill
    Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Bcd wrote:I clicked on the two items to be combined (producing a Green Dot perimeter), and hit shift.
    That does not select two items. Clicking the first item selects it. Clicking the second item drops the first item and selects the second item. Hitting SHIFT does nothing. The end result is only the second item is selected, so "Group" will not appear when right-clicking.
    Bcd

Post by Bcd »

Why are the rectangle with text inside considered two separate items, while the oval with text inside are not? I think I created them the same way.
    I'm obviously no tech whiz. However, I can generally hold my own with apps. I have to say, I do not find this app intuitive. I'm struggling. Is there a tutorial that might help me?

"The oval and the name "Westringa fruitcosa" inside are not separate items, so they can't be grouped. No Group option will be shown when right-clicking and Group will be grayed out in the Menu Bar. The same applies for the rectangle and the name "Window". The other rectangle and the name "Tool box" are separate items. They can be grouped.

The process described by FJCC works for me. Shift-clicking an object adds it to a selection. Alt-clicking does nothing."

Edit: There is already a copy of the oval with "Westringa fruitcosa". Move it and you will see the copy.[/quote]
    Bill
    Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can't group objects

Post by Bill »

Click the text "Tool box" in the rectangle. A pale blue rectangle appears, indicating that the text is in a Text box. Clicking the other text does not, so the other text it is part of the object, not a separate Text box.

You can Google or search YouTube for tutorials.