Drawing Polygon, filled and Free-Form line filled

Discuss the drawing application
Your I.D.'s illegal

Drawing Polygon, filled and Free-Form line filled

Post by Your I.D.'s illegal »

An unwanted automatic update in Windows 8.1 64 bit rebooted the computer and crashed OpenOffice 4.1.6 along with all custom hatching, gradients, and bitmap fills.

Problem;
There is a straight line anchored at/from the starting point to the cursor while drawing Polygon filled and Free-Form line filled. The Area of the Polygon is closed from second point on where you move one corner of a triangle around to set point three. The Polygon/Free-Form shape behaves like if you have already closed the Area with double click at the last point. The Area behaves while drawing almost like if you use 'Insert Points' from 'Edit Points' tool bar to expand the Area AFTER Area is closed. Have updated through OpenOffice 4.1.7, 4.1.8, to 4.1.9, and the problem is exactly the same. Example; Drawing a five pointed star using 'Polygon Filled'; when drawing from point 1 to point 2 there is ONE line, when drawing from point 2 to 3 there should be two lines, not a triangle as we have now), when drawing from point 3 to 4 (you should see three lines), and after drawing 4 to 5 (there should be four lines) where double clicking while setting point 5 should anchor a fifth line back to starting point 1 automatically, and close the Area / star. Can not find any Tool button, setting, or Forum post to fix this problem.

Have one more question....Filling an Area with Colour have never worked for us in any OpenOffice version. Found a workaround where we save one pre set Hatching for each colour we use. Hatching tab in Area fill; Line Spacing at max; 9.90 cm, Line set to; Single, and Line Colour set to same as background colour. Why can not a simple colour be added to an Area when colours work just fine for lines, Hatching and for making Gradients?

Have spent thousands of hours using OpenOffice Draw and want to Thank all involved very much for this absolutely amazing cool drawing program. :bravo:
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 win x86 on Windows 8.1 64bit
Your I.D.'s illegal

Re: Drawing Polygon, filled and Free-Form line filled

Installed Linux Mint Cinnamon Ulysses 20.1, removed it's default Libre Office, and installed OpenOffice 4.1.9 on a new separate M2 256 gb hardrive. Drawing Polygon, filled and Free-Form line filled STILL has the same problem as described above. Workaround; Right click any Fontwork, Shape, or Polygon Filled area in your drawing and click 'Edit Style'.....set transparency to 75% or higher so that polygon shape don't obstruct visibility while drawing. Still very annoying compared to when Polygon simply closes by double click on last point.

Filling Area with colour is working in this Linux setup! First time or me :bravo:

Fullscreen function (usually F11)/removing all tools and windows borders from working area would be the topping of the cake for OpenOffice Draw. Used to print screen and paste full screen image into MS Pain't to crop away windows frame. If you want to print screen a series of images to use for making Gif or Video, they all have to be cropped at exactly the same pixel for them to flow seamlessly in a Video... Fullscreen function would remove the need of additional drawing program for cropping and extend usable workspace (giving higher resolution / higher zoom level in the final Video) at the same time. In Linux it would Simply be; Print Screen, Save as - Done.

124 views on this post and no replies. Guess there is no one button tool to solve Polygon Drawing...

Playlist of Videos made with OpenOffice Draw;
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 57zyHLE5Py

P.S. using Gimp 2.10 i Linux now for cropping, but have not yet found how to crop a series o images at the same distance from image borders, for then to repeat cropping the same area, to the same pixel, after restart...
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The first problem you describe is that Draw automatically shows the implied final side of a filled polygon. I have used Draw only a few times so I cannot say whether that is the normal behavior. It is what I see on my Windows system and I do not see it as obviously wrong. To me, it seems like I am being shown the complete shape that I am drawing. Did you ever see different behavior?

As for filling a closed polygon with color, that is the default behavior that I have always seen. I guess you see it on your Linux system. On the Windows system, have you looked at the Default Graphics style in the Styles and Formatting window? You can reach that with the menu item Format -> Styles and Formatting. The Area tab should show the fill as Color with Classic Blue.

Concerning your comments about Print Screen, I am sure I do not completely understand the problem. You can export the entire page/slide in several formats such as bmp, png, jpeg using the menu File -> Export. You can also export just a selected shape or region using the same menu but checking the Selection box at the lower left corner of the Export dialog. If you Group a set of shapes, possibly including a no-color, no-line shape framing all of them, you could export that and get the exact same pixel size every time. Would that get you what you need?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Your I.D.'s illegal

Thank you very much for reply FJCC! Replying and testing in Windows now...

Yes I've used Draw for a long time where the final side of a filled polygon only shows up by double clicking the last point of desired polygon shape. My most used function i OpenOffice.

Format -> Area Tab show the fill as Color with Classic Blue, and so does Edit Style -> Graphics Styles: Default -> Area Tab..... Format -> Styles and Formatting is set to Default. There are options for; Object with no fill and no line, and; Objects without fill...

"Concerning your comments about Print Screen".....
That works, both 'Export' whole page, and 'Export' selection. Saved PNG image now show all shapes filled with colour (that were black no matter what colour selected) as Classic Blue after Export. There is also a white line added to left and bottom image borders. Can probably fix that by adding a frame and Group with image (frame have to follow image when rotating). Double layer of Fontwork with bottom layer in white does not look good after Export...Have tried different formats and resolutions from Export menus, mentioned problems are present i every one... Anyway, can work with this! Did ot get this far by giving up.

With print screen you get what you see, with this computer a 2K (2560 x 1440) image which is then matched by Youtube in resolution... Full screen option for Draw is still on the wish list.
Your I.D.'s illegal

Re: [Solved] Drawing Polygon, filled and Free-Form line fill

This issue is not [Solved]
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sorry, I thought so. Then next time, edit your first post and remove the tag. I've done that already.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

... wrote:Yes I've used Draw for a long time where the final side of a filled polygon only shows up by double clicking the last point of desired polygon shape
For some years now I only open AOO (4.1.7) for special reasons now and then, but when I still used AOO more frequently, it nevershowed the described bahaviour.
I preserved an old LibreOffice 3.3. which is virtually idendtical with its immediate predecessor OOo V 3.2 (The ancestor of AOO). It also shows a provisional filled polygon as soon as you move the mouse to the third or later point.
I also preserved an old StarOffice 5.2 of 2000 by StarDivision, the predecessor of all the StarOffice versions by SUN and ORACLE and and all the office software by OpenOffice.org and Apache and TheDocumentFoundation. That version from my museum actually does not show a provisional fill when a polygon (to be filled) is drawn.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Your I.D.'s illegal

DuckDuckGo; Apache OpenOffice double click to close polygon -> Search;

Apache OpenOffice Forum
[Solved] Drawing Polygons
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7953

Re: [Solved] Drawing Polygons
Postby acknak » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks for the follow-up, but your description does not seem to correspond with the way OOo works for me.

When creating a polyline, the first segment is created by dragging the mouse. After that, left click adds new vertex; right click deletes the previous vertex; double-click creates a new vertex and ends the polyline. If the final point is close to the starting point, the polyline is closed.

Left+right click does something similar to right-click: the last point is deleted and a new point is made.

Pressing Escape cancels the operation and deletes the entire polyline.

Maybe I misunderstood your description, or maybe this is a difference in OOo coming from OO.org vs. go-ooo.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23

Drawing Basic Shapes
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... sic_Shapes
"Polygons: Draw the first line from the start point with the left mouse button held down. As soon as you release the mouse button, a first corner point is drawn; move the mouse to see how subsequent lines will look. Every mouse click sets another corner point. A double-click ends the drawing. A filled polygon automatically joins the last point to the first point to close off the figure and fills it with the current standard fill color. A polygon without filling will not be closed at the end of the drawing."

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... ing_shapes
Polygons;
Draw the first line from the start point with the left mouse button held down. As soon as you release the mouse button, a first corner point is drawn, and you can move the mouse to see how the second line will look. Every mouse click sets another corner point. A double-click ends the drawing. A filled polygon automatically joins the last point to the first point to close off the figure and fills it with the current standard fill color.

There are many more pages showing this function, it is how we learned how to draw/use polygons in the first place. (Got a cup of warm water with slice of lemon spilled over Logitech K740 keyboard, F, N, 0, and ?, stopped working...) Amazing the patience one needs with computers! LOL

Example for use of -> Polygon, filled;

Trace the outline of any figure in any image to make a sharply outlined transparent image for use in your drawing. Follow the figures outline and place points where curves in the outline changes direction, set points at all sharp corners. Double click to complete polygon. Right click Polygon -> Convert -> to Curve. Make adjusting handles on all points light up at the same time by selecting Polygon and drag with mouse from background of page to encompass all points in your Polygon. Adjust with levelers until Polygon matches outline of figure beneath. (If this is a black and white picture/print/etching you can fill Polygon with transparent colour and remove line to make area stand out.) Drag a rectangle shape with no line and no transparency to cover your Polygon. Copy Polygon, paste on top of rectangle and select both by holding ALT button while left clicking, right click highlighted shapes and select; Shapes -> Subtract. You can now see the figure you outlined isolated inside the rectangle. Print Screen, paste, crop. save as.... Import image to drawing, select; Tools -> Colour Replacer, replace rectangle colour with transparent....

BUG IN; TOOLS -> COLOUR REPLACER DIALOG BOX; Only top left corner ca. 25% of dialog box is visible. Luckily it works anyway.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux Mint Cinnamon Ulyssa 20.1