[Solved] Adjusting nudge in DRAW

Discuss the drawing application
petermann

[Solved] Adjusting nudge in DRAW

Post by petermann »

Re moving any object using up, down, left, right keys. In CoaralDRAW one can adjust (They call it Nudge) the number of pixels a keystroke gives right down to tiny movements. I cannot seem to adjust these movements in OpenOffice DRAW. Please advise. Thank you. Peter

Using the ALT button worked a treat. Thanks
Last edited by petermann on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office4.1.8 Mac ios 10.13.6
RoryOF

Re: Adjusting nudge in DRAW

Post by RoryOF »

Use the arrow keys. and Shift arrow for larger movement.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

What I see is that the arrow key moves an object by 1 mm, Shift + arrow moves an object by 10 mm, Alt + arrow moves by a smaller amount that depends on the zoom setting. At 100% zoom the movement is 0.18 mm on my system, at 200% it is 0.09 mm. Is that a pixel?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
petermann wrote:Re moving any object using up, down, left, right keys. I cannot seem to adjust these movements in OpenOffice DRAW.
When I hold the Option key (symbol ⌥ on the Mac keyboad) I find the "nudge" amount to be smaller. When I hold the Shift key I find the "nudge" amount to be larger. Option is the Mac equivalent of the Alt key on other platforms.
petermann wrote:In CoaralDRAW one can adjust … the [nudge] a keystroke gives right down to tiny movements.
I do not know of a setting to specify the amount in pixels. You are welcome to look in Draw Guide. After an object is selected, press F4 to open a dialog where you can specify the exact position and size of the object.
Q10: How do I use function keys (F1, F2, …, F12) on a Mac?
petermann wrote:… adjust … the number of pixels …
I think one would not expect that in Draw, since Draw is a vector graphics editor and not a raster graphics editor, and a pixel is a raster graphics concept. Perhaps you should use a different tool if you need to work with pixels.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The "arrows nudge" seems to be preset to 0.1 inch.

Try using Snap to grid. See Tools >Options > Draw > Grid.

Also, Draw uses Align functions. Select multiple objects > r-click > Alignment.

r-click > Position and size ..., allows you to edit the position.

See the Draw User Guide.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.