[Solved] Display a (selectable) List of Layer Objects?

Discuss the drawing application
Lonnie-S

[Solved] Display a (selectable) List of Layer Objects?

Post by Lonnie-S »

I'm learning Draw. However, I have had experience with other vector drawing programs, so I'm not a complete beginner.

Is there a way to display a selectable list of objects in a layer? I see you can display a simple list (Shape 1, Shape 2, Shape 3, . . . etc.) in the navigator, but I don't seem to be able to select the objects in that list. I'm drawing layer objects that have various kinds of fill, so one sometimes obscures another object I'd like to select. I don't want to move the top object to select one (or more) objects beneath it. I'd like to do that from a selectable list instead.

Also, had I named each of my 3 objects in the layer, say to "circle", "rectangle" and "line 1", would the navigator then show my list as those names instead of Shape 1, Shape 2, Shape 3?

Thanks,

Lonnie
Last edited by Lonnie-S on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.8, / Windows 7 Pro
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Can One Display a (selectable) List of Layer Objects?

Post by Zizi64 »

I see you can display a simple list (Shape 1, Shape 2, Shape 3, . . . etc.) in the navigator, but I don't seem to be able to select the objects in that list.
You can select an object in the Navigator list by a double click on the name.

Note: the newer LibreOffice Draw versions can number the shape names when you copy a named shape. The names of the copied shape (named "myshape") will be
"myshape_0"
"myshape_1"
...etc...

Then you will able to select THAT shape what you really want.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

You can name the form as you want: rightclick on the form and select Name. Fill it as you want, it will show in the Navigator

In the Navigator you can select the form by doubleclicking. It will show you the eight green handles of the form, indicating that the form is selected
OpenOffice Draw_Navigator_vorms.png

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Note that double click in the navigator only works after you have assigned a name to the object. You can "display all" to have all objects listed in the navigator, but doubleclicking on automatic/generic name entries will not select the corresponding object.

One workaround:
When you have overlapping objects, you can use Alt+Click and Shift+Alt+click to select the next/previous object in the stack.
Lonnie-S

Post by Lonnie-S »

Zizi64 wrote:
I see you can display a simple list (Shape 1, Shape 2, Shape 3, . . . etc.) in the navigator, but I don't seem to be able to select the objects in that list.
You can select an object in the Navigator list by a double click on the name.

Note: the newer LibreOffice Draw versions can number the shape names when you copy a named shape. The names of the copied shape (named "myshape") will be
"myshape_0"
"myshape_1"
...etc...

Then you will able to select THAT shape what you really want.
This got me part way there. Thank you for the response.

Is LibreOffice Draw the sme program by another name?
Lonnie-S

Post by Lonnie-S »

DiGro wrote:You can name the form as you want: rightclick on the form and select Name. Fill it as you want, it will show in the Navigator

In the Navigator you can select the form by doubleclicking. It will show you the eight green handles of the form, indicating that the form is selected
Thank you, this was helpful.
Lonnie-S

Post by Lonnie-S »

keme wrote:Note that double click in the navigator only works after you have assigned a name to the object. You can "display all" to have all objects listed in the navigator, but doubleclicking on automatic/generic name entries will not select the corresponding object.

One workaround:
When you have overlapping objects, you can use Alt+Click and Shift+Alt+click to select the next/previous object in the stack.
This got me all the way home. I tried double clicking with the default names and it wouldn't work. I was too embarrassed to come back and ask again. I thought, "they'll think I'm and idiot." As soon as I changed the names to ones of my choosing, it worked. Thank you also for the Alt-Click tip. That's quite nice.

Cheers,
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] Display a (selectable) List of Layer Objects?

Post by Zizi64 »

Is LibreOffice Draw the sme program by another name?
The LibreOffice is a fork of the OpenOffice. The LO was forked at version 3.3.0. The newest LO version is 7.0.3 today.
The LO Draw is the equivalent application to the Apache OO Draw application, but the LO Draw has some new functions and features.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
KeithDrury

Post by KeithDrury »

DiGro wrote:You can name the form as you want: rightclick on the form and select Name. Fill it as you want, it will show in the Navigator

Useful! :)
AKD Windows 10 (64bit); OpenOffice v 7.0.4.2