[Solved+Issue] Objects Properties Pane Position and Size

Discuss the drawing application
Kiambuman

[Solved+Issue] Objects Properties Pane Position and Size

Post by Kiambuman »

I am creating a drawing on a page set up to A4 size (210x279mm). I am placing rectangles on this page, one of which is 129x198mm. The Position and Size properties pane for this rectangle will only display the width and height of the rectangle as 99.9mm. I have tried setting all margins for the page to zero but it makes no difference. I can use Format - Position and Size menu commands to set the rectangle to be the dimensions that I want and it will display them on the menu window and the main screen shows that it is fitting inside the border of the A4 page. However the properties pane for the main drawing seems to have this 99.9mm display limitation. Apologies if this has been answered before but I was unable to find an answer on this forum or anywhere else. Can anybody explain?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Windows 10
Apache Open Office 4.1.7 m1 build 9800 Rev 46059c9192
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: Drawing Objects Properties Pane Position and Size

Post by Lupp »

I can't reproduce the described behavior with V 4.1.7.
Please attach an example showing the issue for you.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Kiambuman

Post by Kiambuman »

I have attached a simple draw file called Test file.odg which is an A4 portrait sheet with a simple rectangle drawn on it. I also include a text file called Test file screen shots. This has a screen shot of the properties pane for that simple rectangle where the position is given as H 22.76mm and V 49.22mm but the width and height are given as 99.99mm. However the second screen shot which comes from Format Position and size shows that the position matches exactly as H 22.76mm and V 49.22mm but the height and width are now given correctly as Width 145.73mm and height = 141.53 mm. Hope this is clear.
The reason this is important to me is that I use the properties pane to line up images to be the same width and height but if they are larger than 99.99mm I can't use the properties pane.
Attachments
Test file screen shots.odt
(50.23 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Test file.odg
(8.12 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Yes, I can see the issue in my AOO 4.1.7 portable version. It seems as a bug of the AOO Draw Sidebar.
Use the menu instead of the Sidebar, or use the LibreOffice: it is works as expected.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Kiambuman

Post by Kiambuman »

Thankyou very much for taking the time to look at this. I'm glad you think it is a bug and it is not just me!!
I have got Libre Office on another machine but I prefer Apache draw because it has the unique feature that if you specify dimensions within Draw then when you print the draw file it reproduces these meaurements in the printed output exactly. (Well at least it does for me and my Canon MG5250 inkjet). With Libre I find I have to calibrate it so when I want to print a 100mm line I have to create a 104mm line on the screen and so on. This Apache WYSIWYPrint feature is very useful.
Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Any printer should print shapes with a very good approximation to the dimnsions set for the shape, an most printers nowadys can produce a resolution making the result next to exact (as far as the paper is dimensionally stable).

Concerning a screen I don't feel quite sure if the communication with the computer's graphic hardware, and this way with the running software is actually reliable - and there may still exist screens wher the "pixles per meter" measure slightly differs depending on whether taken vertically or horizontally.

Specifically with my current screen (a slightly dated 1920x1080 "SAMSUNG SyncMaster P2270HD") and graphic hardware (old NVIDIA onboard) I get the best approximation of the on-screen-sizes to the measures set for shapes
- with a zoom factor of 107% using LibreOffice V7.0.1.2
- with a zoom factor of 107% using AOO V4.1.7
-- if, in addition the option under >Tools>OpenOffice>View>>User Interface>>Scaling has selected 100%.

You see: In my case both the softwares get the same information which they both interpret in the same way..
The only difference is that LibO no longer offers the mentioned setting.
In fact for AOO I can choose 107% under options and 100% for zoom, and will get the same result. I don't see this as a relevant advantage.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München