[Solved] Play audio or video in exported pdf

Discuss the drawing application
RobbR

[Solved] Play audio or video in exported pdf

Post by RobbR »

Hi. I know how to insert a video or audio file, but is there a way for the file to be playable within the pdf after exporting it? A link in the Draw document/pdf that opens a browser or other program is not desired.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Play audio or video in exported pdf

Post by Zizi64 »

A link in the Draw document/pdf that opens a browser or other program is not desired.
As I know it, the Draw (or any other AOO/LO applications) can not play any audio or video files. The applications always use the default player software of the operating system.
I suppose it, if the PDF reader softwares will work with same or similar method.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

No.

A PDF does not store a music or video file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Villeroy

Thanks for the update. I see it is part of the 2012 PDF/A-3 standard which neither LO nor AOO can save in.
PDF/A-3
Part 3 of the standard, published on October 15, 2012, differs from PDF/A-2 in only one regard: it allows embedding of arbitrary file formats (such as XML, CSV, CAD, word-processing documents, spreadsheet documents, and others) into PDF/A conforming documents.
It does not say whether a stored music or video file would be playable - I think it is merely stored in the PDF container as, otherwise, the reader would need to be equipped with code to run each stored format. Your link says
The embedded files are included purely for convenience and need not be directly processed by any conforming reader.
suggesting my conjecture is correct.

LO can save in only A-1b or A-2b.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RobbR

Post by RobbR »

Thanks, all.

I asked after reading this: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/p ... rmats.html
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Pro