[Solved] Set different scales within same Draw file

Discuss the drawing application
morphingstar

[Solved] Set different scales within same Draw file

Post by morphingstar »

I have several draw sheets in 1 file.
I want the scale be valid for the sheet only.
I do not want scales changing in other sheets when I set scale for the one I am working with.
Needing different files just to separate the scales is anything but convenient.
So far scaling on a new sheet messed up the already existing sheets.
HOW? Thanks.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: set different scales within same draw file

Post by Zizi64 »

I have several draw sheets in 1 file.
I want the scale be valid for the sheet only.
I do not want scales changing in other sheets when I set scale for the one I am working with.
Needing different files just to separate the scales is anything but convenient.
So far scaling on a new sheet messed up the already existing sheets.
HOW? Thanks.
The AOO/LO Draw can handle only one drawing ratio per document.

Tips:

- You can modify the numeric values of the dimension lines manually (one-by-one),

- You can modify the numeric values of the dimension line by a macro (you can multiply all of the size values by a macro routine based on a ratio that the macro will request by an inputbox) In this case you must store the custom scale values for every sheet somewhere (for example in the document properties), if you want to reset the original ratio in the future.
I think, the best "base ratio" is the 1:1. You can assign the individual ratios to the Sheet numbers.
But there is a predictable problems:
1.: The sheets are numbered (indexed) for the handling by a macro, but they will be renumbered when you delete a sheet from the document and when you insert a sheet into the document. Therefore maybe it is better to store the custom ratio on the sheet in a "named label like object" or in the properties of the dimension line object (there is an empty property named "description").
2: You can apply the ratio by the macro only once AFTER all the object have been drawn. Otherwise some of sizes will be recalculated at every macro running.

- You can use se a real CAD software.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Kari52

Re: [Solved] Set different scales within same Draw file

Post by Kari52 »

This is a big shortage, that you can use only one scale in one drawing. If I draw basic plan in firts sheet example 1:100 and details in second, I would like tu use scale 1:10. Is it possible to get own scale for all sheets in the coming updates ?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 On Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

This is a big shortage, that you can use only one scale in one drawing. If I draw basic plan in firts sheet example 1:100 and details in second, I would like tu use scale 1:10. Is it possible to get own scale for all sheets in the coming updates ?
The AOO be dying. There are minor, an rare updates only. Try the LibreOffice. The developer team publish a bugfix or "new features" version of LO in every 3 months. But I have not any information about any planned changing of the "ratio" property.

In the meantime, try a macro workaround...:

Use a Ratio shape object on each page to store a different textual value of the ratio: 1:100; 1:10, 5:1.
Get the string from the Ratio shape, convert it to a float type multiplier, and calculate/set the formatted text "size" for all measuring lines of the actual page based on the real drawing sizes and the ratio value.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Draw is intended to be used for things like flow charts, logic diagrams etc. It is not intended to be used for scale drawings.

If you need scaled drawings use a CAD package - there are plenty of free CAD packages available.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.