[Solved] Help on text scaling

Discuss the drawing application
Paul F

[Solved] Help on text scaling

Post by Paul F »

Hi all, I'm new to OpenOffice Draw, have been a Coreldraw user for years. I am attempting to create a 'blue print' for modifications I'm doing inside the rear canopy on my pick-up, the page size is 2000mm x 2000mm. I would like to know how to scale any text I insert into objects I create (simple rectangles).....even by setting the font size to the max of 96 it is still too small to read unless I magnify the page.
Also, once I insert the text into an object how do I 'group' or 'combine' the text, to use Corel speak, so the object can be repositioned on the page and the text stays insitu?

Many thanks.
Paul
Australia.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office version 4.1.6, Win10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Help on text scaling

Post by Zizi64 »

I would like to know how to scale any text I insert into objects I create (simple rectangles).....even by setting the font size to the max of 96 it is still too small to read unless I magnify the page.
The size "96 pts" is the maximum value what you can CHOOSE from the dropdown list. But you can WRITE any other (even larger) values into the font size edit box.

My tip:
Use the Styles instead of manual formatting method.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Thank you Tibor.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One can enter large font sizes in both Writer and Draw; these, if larger, will be automatically limited to 999.9 pts (72 pts to the inch).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:One can enter large font sizes in both Writer and Draw; these, if larger, will be automatically limited to 999.9 pts (72 pts to the inch).
If you then highlight the 999.9pt text and go Shape > Convert > Curves you can magnify it at will.

This a 6m x 6m page (the maximum allowed) with characters about 2 metres high.
large text.png
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
large.odg
(10.1 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Joyhn_Ha is using LibreOffice; in OpenOffice the maximum page is 3m x 3m.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Thanks all, I appreciate your suggestions... sadly I am still a little confused... in an attempt to explain myself better I have attached a quickly drawn up 2m x 2m drawing, the rectangles represent bins and I want to arrange them in such a way so they will fit within a particular area efficiently, as the drawing progress' the bins will be of differing sizes and shapes and it is important that I identify each one...i.e. 'Bin # 2' and so on ... I have inserted the word 'bin' in the centre of one but this word is too small....what I'd like to do is increase the size of the word and then 'embed' it to the bin to enable me to move that bin anywhere on the drawing, at any angle, and have the 'bin #' name tag stay within the bin.
'Idiot' step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated...perhaps OpenOffice Draw is not suitable for what I am doing?

Paul.
Draw.JPG
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

perhaps OpenOffice Draw is not suitable for what I am doing?
Apache OpenOffice (or the LibreOffice) Draw is a suitable for what you are doing.

Use the Styles. You need set the Font size once when you use a user defined object Style. And then you will able to apply the Style by one or two clicks for tho other objects.

Please upload an .odg type sample file here.

I have attached a quickly drawn up 2m x 2m drawing, the rectangles represent bins
Are you sure, that you need a 1:1 scale value for your drawing? Maybe an 1:100 scale ( 1 cm = 1 m ) gives you a easiest way for the readable label size.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Tibor..many thanks...setting a drawing scale is how I would approach this in Coreldraw....I looked but was unable to see how to adjust the scale in OpenOffice Draw???

Paul.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Paul F wrote: I am attempting to create a 'blue print' for modifications I'm doing inside the rear canopy on my pick-up
Draw is for simple drawings.

You will find a free CAD package much better for an "engineer's blueprint" where you want accurate angles, bisect lines or angles, erect perpendiculars, create tangents, draw lines parallel to things etc. Google for programs like DoubleCAD, DraftSight or LibreCAD etc.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I looked but was unable to see how to adjust the scale in OpenOffice Draw???
The Drawing scale option in my LibreOffice 6.2.8 (From the menu: Tools - Options...):
Drawing scale LO.png
...and in my Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 protable version:
Drawing scale AOO.png