[Solved] Post upgrade to Windows 10

Discuss the drawing application
biggordy76

[Solved] Post upgrade to Windows 10

Post by biggordy76 »

After many happy years running on Windows 7 and with the latest open office running ive used Draw to create many templates used for my posters.

We recently replaced windows 7 with windows 10 and although all my templates still load and can edit them fine the Font seems to have changed on the majority of my text.

Im having to rework every single one of my draw files to try and get the fonts back to something that looks like their JPG saved equivalent.

I cant remember what font I originally used can any one help on this matter, or had it happen to them?

many thanks in advance

Gordon
Last edited by biggordy76 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apache Openoffice 4.1.7 AOO417m1(Build:9800) - Rev. 46059c9192
WINDOWS 10
biggordy76

Re: Post upgrade to Windows 10

Post by biggordy76 »

below should be an image showing a side by side comparison.

https://ibb.co/1bx9GZY

the jpeg on the left was saved under windows 7, the right shows the same image opened for editing in windows 10, the fonts are not the same,
WINDOWS 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
When you upgraded to Windows 10 some of the fonts may have gotten replaced with different versions.
If you liked the previous versions better, you'll have to find the fonts then reinstall them in Windows.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
biggordy76

Post by biggordy76 »

yes i would do that if i knew what fonts they were, but as i said i cant remember, and having over 60 different posters that i used to open as need be only to change the date its going to be a long road to open each one and play with fonts and sizes all over again,
WINDOWS 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Can you upload one of the jpg files? They might contain information about the font that was used to generate the jpg image.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do you recollect loading extra fonts onto your Windows 7 machine? Or were the fonts used the "standard" Windows 7 fonts?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I am fairly sure the St Keverne line is Comic Sans Bold, as is the Sunday line, the 11AM line is Comic Sans normal and most other lines are Times New Roman Bold Italic or Times New Roman Bold

If you have your old Win 7 computer, you could transfer these fonts (in their four weights) to your Win 10 computer, or else look for them on a font site.
 Edit: I found this:
Any of these Feature On Demand FOD packages can also be installed manually via Settings. To add font packages manually, Select the Start button, and then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Manage optional features.

RusselB

Post by RusselB »

@RoryOF: Based on "We recently replaced windows 7 with windows 10" from the original post, I suspect that they did an OS upgrade, rather than getting a newer machine, thus the old Win 7 machine is no longer available.
biggordy76

Post by biggordy76 »

It wont let me attach the images as i get the file too big message, Maximum file is 128kb,

Interestingly the laptop (which is also running windows 10) opens the ODG file perfectly, as it has allways done, although when i select the text its telling me the font is "chiller" for the venue name and "bradley hand ITC" neither font i ever remember seeing before or selecting

I thought i may of cracked it by copying the c:>windows>fonts folder from laptop to the desktop but no it still opens it with the fonts all messed up and the sizing different.

Yes the desktop had a new SSD installed with a fresh copy of windows 10 and everything transferred onto it, so i dont have access to win 7 any more

Comic Sans MS is the venue and date Font, but it still keeps saying Chiller even after i apply Comic Sans MS,
Last edited by biggordy76 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WINDOWS 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Copying the fonts folder alone isn't enough, as Windows has it's own separate tracker for the fonts that are actually installed.
Since you can get the font names using the laptop, you can search for those fonts on the internet and then install them onto the desktop system.
Since the images are too big to upload here, you can upload them to a file sharing site and then link to the shared file, similar to what you did for the picture in your second post.
biggordy76

Post by biggordy76 »

Description is Times New Roman, even thought it says Castella when i select the text, even though Castella is not an option if wanting to change to that font (on the laptop) so it looks like the Desktop with the New Windows 10 is causeing my draw package to open files with Comic Sans MS switched to Chiller, and Times New Roman switched to Castella, which seems odd but fixable with patience
WINDOWS 10
biggordy76

Post by biggordy76 »

WINDOWS 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You file uses these fonts many of which are not included with Windows 10 (or Windows 7 for that matter)..

Code: Select all

font-family="Broadway"
			font-family-complex="Tahoma"
			font-family="Thorndale"
			font-family-asian="'MS Gothic'"			
			font-family="Chiller"
			font-family="'Bradley Hand ITC'"
			font-family="'Bradley Hand ITC'"
			font-family="Castellar"
			font-family="Castellar"font-family="Broadway"
			font-family="'Engravers MT'"
This was written for Writer but applies to Draw too.
Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for.

If the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available, and use that substitute font to display the text.

The TestFonts add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC. It only works in Writer???

You can see which fonts are installed on a Windows PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
biggordy76

Post by biggordy76 »

But ive never selected "chiller" as a font, its horrible, As ive discovered the true font is Comic Sans MS for the venue and date, then Times New Roman for the descriptions,

I have nooooooooooooooo Idea why it suddenly wants to use "chiller", "Bradley Hand ITC" nor "Castellar" all my Draw files matched the JPG's until i got it back with the new Windows 10 on it.
WINDOWS 10
biggordy76

Post by biggordy76 »

RoryOF wrote:I am fairly sure the St Keverne line is Comic Sans Bold, as is the Sunday line, the 11AM line is Comic Sans normal and most other lines are Times New Roman Bold Italic or Times New Roman Bold

Yep you are spot on that's exactly what they are so why is the desktop with the new windows 10 OS changing the Comic Sans for Chilling, and the Times New Roman for Castella, very frustrating
Last edited by RusselB on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Extra tags removed
WINDOWS 10
biggordy76

Post by biggordy76 »

I have provissionaly solved it by deleting the contents of folder c:\\windows\\fonts

ie select all delete, it wont let me delete system fonts and a few others however upon restarting the computer and opening Draw, im able to open all my files and the fonts are exactly as should be, as they were before the upgrade, although strangely when i highlight any of the text its still showing "Chiller", "Bradley Hand ITC" or "Castellar" as being the font in the select box, even though those fonts dont exist anymore, so as long as i add or edit my text from the middle of a sub heading it will maintain the correct fonts, ignoring the new weird ones :) I so wish someone could be next to me as im not sure im explaining it very well, its hard to put into words, lol but thank you all for your help
WINDOWS 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Sounds to me that the problem has been determined to be with Windows 10, not OpenOffice, thus further queries should be directed to a Windows 10 help forum (note: I use the term "help" in relation to Windows 10 very loosely)
biggordy76

Post by biggordy76 »

Except it’s OpenOffice draw that keeps trying to apply fonts that either I havent selected or fonts that no longer exist on my system.
WINDOWS 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When a requested font is not available on a computer on which a file is being displayed, OpenOffice will use as close-fitting a font as it can find that is installed on the computer.

Is it possible that at some stage the file was edited by someone else on their computer?
 Edit: Did you have CorelDraw or some other graphics program installed on your Windows 7 computer? 
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

biggordy76 wrote:But ive never selected "chiller" as a font, its horrible, As ive discovered the true font is Comic Sans MS for the venue and date, then Times New Roman for the descriptions,

I have nooooooooooooooo Idea why it suddenly wants to use "chiller", "Bradley Hand ITC" nor "Castellar" all my Draw files matched the JPG's until i got it back with the new Windows 10 on it.
That entry might be a residue from a distant time when you tried"chiller". It could be used in a blank paragraph, at the end of some text snippet, in some shape with no text (which nevertheless has some font assigned to it).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Highlight a few characters
2. Format > Character

The heading font is Chiller. Note that I do not have Chiller and I am told it is using a substituted font.

Possibly you were sent the text by someone who used Chiller but your PC substituted a font for it. You mistakenly thought the displayed font was he correct one - it was not.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The problem, as I see it, is that the Windows 7 files used Comic Sans and Times New Roman; the file on the Windows 10 computer has been modified (how? who?) to use another selection of files (Chiller, inter alia). This is not a case of the wrong font being used for display, substituted by the program as a "closest fit" font, but the actual file having been edited and the "new" fonts selected and the file saved.

It is a case for detective work, I think.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't think the font was actually changed either by the user or by OpenOffice. Chiller was supplied with some versions of MS Word and other MS products. Chiller could have been chosen as the font in templates created with one of those products. If Chiller wasn't available on the Windows 7 machine, then Comic Sans could have been substituted. If Chiller became available again under Windows 10, then Comic Sans would not have been substituted for Chiller. If Chiller was then removed from Windows 10, Comic Sans would again be substituted for Chiller. The font settings in the templates should be checked.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04