[Solved] How to create a Venn Diagram in OOo

Discuss the drawing application
MrOffice

[Solved] How to create a Venn Diagram in OOo

Post by MrOffice »

I want to create a coloured venn diagram. When I intersect two circular shapes the colour is not correct.

I created a red circular shape and a green one with 50 % transparency each. The intersected area has a brown colour.

How can I make the intersected area a yellow colour? Or alternatively green colour when mixing red and yellow.

Thank you.
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: How to create a Venn Diagram in OOo

Post by John_Ha »

It doesn't work like that.
 Edit: I used blue not green in my example 
See Merging, subtracting, or intersecting shapes in the Draw Guide where you create a blue shape, create a red shape and create an "intersection of both" shape which you colour yellow.
Three shapes: blue, red and yellow.<br />Note the yellow shape has been selected.
Three shapes: blue, red and yellow.
Note the yellow shape has been selected.
Clipboard03.png (10.47 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
1 Create both shapes
2 Create intersection shape
3 Set intersection shape to yellow
4 Copy intersection shape
5 Undo till you get the two original shapes
6 Paste the yellow intersection shape. It appears in front in exactly the correct position.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
colours.odg
(10.03 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

(Both circles assumed as "transparent 50%".)

You surely noticed that the colour shown in the area of intersection depends on the Z-order you set. Having brought to front the green circle ("green" with (R,G,B)=(0,255,0)) you don't get a lighter green or whatever colour, but something darker but still in the green range. The red circle brought to front you get a rather dark colour again, but somehow red.

Why darker? Any partial transparency leaves a partial intransparency, too. Intransparent colour will filter the colour of the background treated like "shining sun" (255,255,255) by suppressing parts of it. That's the subtractive way of combining colours.

With different words: Your expectation you would get an additive composition without any influence of te background was wrong.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
MrOffice

Post by MrOffice »

you are right, haha. I thought there might be a setting to automatically set the colour space. I set it up correctly now. The solution is a combination of @John_Ha and @Lupp.

1 Create both shapes, 0 % transparency
2 Create intersection shape
3 Place intersection on top of shape
4 Set intersection area to background colour of the other shape
5 Set intersection area to 50 % transparency

this gives me a nice mixture in a subtractive colour space! For intersection with 3 areas you would use 33% transparency, of course.

thank you
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04