[Solved] Older OpenOffice program

Discuss the drawing application
The20cenaddict

[Solved] Older OpenOffice program

Post by The20cenaddict »

I recently installed the openoffice 4.1.6 on my windows 10 laptop. I also have it on my XP laptop, which would be an older version. I mainly use the DRAW section, to create and edit PDF files. The problem is that on the 10 machine, I cannot select and move columns of text, to create space between them. The XP version did this easily. I have tried other PDF programs and none of the free versions can do it, either. Acrobat, Foxit..no good.

The 10 version will only select all the columns together, as a unit. Ok, I can select the text, itself, with the blue cast, but it will not move anywhere. I can even create a bounding box around the particular area, but no move symbol, or using the keyboard arrow keys. I can, of course, select individual text lines and do what I want with them. Any suggestions would be welcome. The older program versions will not work on Windows 10.
Last edited by The20cenaddict on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.6 on windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: older open office program

Post by John_Ha »

The20cenaddict wrote:The older program versions will not work on Windows 10.
I doubt that. I recently ran AOO 3.4 on W7 to do some tests. If you run into problems you can run it in Compatibility Mode for XP or W7 - google it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: older open office program

Post by Zizi64 »

The problem is that on the 10 machine, I cannot select and move columns of text, to create space between them. The XP version did this easily.
Please upload two sample files here. One "original file" and one what you have modified on the XP.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
The20cenaddict

Re: Older OpenOffice program

Post by The20cenaddict »

Thanks for the reply.. My xp laptop has Open Office 3.0, installed in 2012. I will be downloading this version today and see if Windows 10/64 will accept it. Basically, I can draw a line around any portion of the text, and do what I want with it...move, delete, or whatever. The current version does not respond at all. I will let you know. thanks.
The20cenaddict

Post by The20cenaddict »

Ok, I think I know what happened. By the way, openoffice 3.0 is now on my windows 10 machine. I had created a single document, which had about 10 text lines. Within this single space, I created 2 columns . Individual text lines were spaced in the center to create the separate columns. In other words, the spaces could have been more text. So....all of this ended up as a single text box.

Being enclosed, there was no way to select anything but all at once. Oh well.Yeah, I learned a lot by this. Originally I claimed I could do it..sorry. A completed PDF can be manipulated in almost any fashion. Generally, this program can do a lot. Thanks.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I don't understand what you did at all. Can you upload a sample file (see: How to attach a document here)?
Why use an outdated version?

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you are using columns, you will find all you need to know about them in
[Tutorial] Columns in Writer: an introduction
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
The20cenaddict

Post by The20cenaddict »

Just a quickie. I am using open office DRAW, not writer, since the file is PDF. Anyway, the problem has been resolved, now. thanks
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Older OpenOffice program

Post by RoryOF »

For major editing of a PDF file it is better to locate and use a dedicated PDF editor. The PDF editing extension for Open-/Libre-Office is only intended to make minor cosmetic changes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS