[Solved] Arranging layers disabled

Discuss the drawing application
rhammer54

[Solved] Arranging layers disabled

Post by rhammer54 »

I am new to DraW and have decided to give it a go.
I have created a drawing of the floor plan of my kitchen. I have the background on one layer, and have started a new layer to put the internal walls on. I want to put the background layer behind the internal wall layer but the menu item Modify --> Arrange has all the items disabled????
I have searched the forum but cannot find anyone else having had a similar problem so I assume I have not grasped something fundamental about Draw.
Kitchen Tiling Drawing.odg
(8.59 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Any suggestions appreciated Bob
Last edited by rhammer54 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Arranging layers disabled

Post by John_Ha »

Modify > Arrange ... applies to objects and not to the layers themselves. You cannot bring a layer in front of another layer - they are all always at the same level.

Create Layer 1, Layer 2 and Layer 3. By default all are visible. You now have three tabs.

Choose Layer 1 tab and draw a rectangle on it. Choose Layer 2 tab and draw a circle on it.

Make sure snap is on.

Choose Layer 3 tab and draw lines from the corners of the rectangle to the centre of the circle - note how the line snaps to the rectangle corner and snaps to the circle centre - ie you can snap to a location defined by an object on a visible layer. Note the circle is in front of the lines - you can send it back behind the lines.

Format > Layers allows to set any layer visible or invisible. Set Layer 3 invisible and you do not see the lines.

See the manual at Draw User Guide. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Google kitchen design software for free software designed specifically for kitchen design.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
layers.odg
(8.79 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rhammer54

Re: Arranging layers disabled

Post by rhammer54 »

Thanks John for the quick reply. I am used to layers in photoshop hence my confusion. All is now working.
It is sort of kitchen design but what I am doing is creating one object for the floor shape, and then creating grid objects for various floor tile sizes to see how best to position floor tiles with minimum wastage and no very small slivers which are impossible to cut.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10