[Issue] [Workaround] Can't create one landscape page

Discuss the drawing application
MMearns

[Issue] [Workaround] Can't create one landscape page

Post by MMearns »

I am trying to create one individual Landscape page. If I use the page tab it changes all the pages when I only want one page to be Landscape and the rest to be portrait

I have also looked a the styles icon which is greyed out (under formatting) All of the icons are grey out?

Version 4.1.11 MS version 10
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged issue.
Open Office 4.1.11 Draw Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Cant create one landscape page

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
MMearns wrote:I am trying to create one individual Landscape page.
Mixed page styles does not seem to be a feature of the Draw component. However you can include drawings in Writer documents for printing. Insert → Object → OLE Object → Drawing. If you want to include an existing drawing in a Writer document, you can embed a copy of it in the Writer document or you can link the drawing file to the Writer document. Writer documents can mix portrait and landscape if you use different page styles. Read about OLE objects and page styles in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about them in the Writer Forum.
OpenOffice Draw Guide
OpenOffice Writer Guide

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MMearns

Re: Can't create one landscape page

Post by MMearns »

This application should be able to create an individual Landscape page. If you do drawings you want both portrait and landscape in the same document. I should not need to use a fudge from the writer program.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

MMearns wrote:This application should be able to create an individual Landscape page. If you do drawings you want both portrait and landscape in the same document. I should not need to use a fudge from the writer program.
The source code is freely available; no doubt your contribution to that, enabling this change, will be welcome.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MMearns

Post by MMearns »

RoryOf - Not a really helpful reply. !!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is a LibreOffice enhancement request for that maybe for AOO also: Bug 49787 - Formatting: Allow different slide / page styles (orientation, size) in a single Drawing document.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

MMearns wrote:RoryOf - Not a really helpful reply. !!
Well, you are telling us, fellow users like yourself, how you think it should be. MrProgammer and RoryOf have told you how they think it is and what they suggest you do about it. I cannot see that there is much more to contribute with on our (user) level.

Note also that the message to the developers about this, as linked by Hagar, is nearly 10 years old, with nothing really happening to it except a number of "me too" messages, and a priority rise 3 years ago when it had received 20+ upvotes. Based on that, I would not have high hopes unless you are in a capacity to contribute to development.

When you compare Draw with other tools, remember that there are underlying resource differences:
  • Draw is one of six modules in the OpenOffice or LibreOffice software suite. The entire suite takes around 400 MB of storage space (that is OO ; LO is around twice that size) and costs you no money unless you choose to contribute financially.
    Microsoft's Visio is a standalone app which by itself weighs in at 3500 MB, and you will pay a subscription fee of ~$15 monthly or ~$500 as a one time payment.
    Adobe's Illustrator is roughly half the size and significantly higher priced than Visio.
Superlateral

Re: [Issue] [Workaround] Can't create one landscape page

Post by Superlateral »

Absolutely Keme, we should be thankful to people who have contributed and made OO available free to use with almost every feature in it especially for creative projects. Not to forget all those who help people solve their issues in this forum. Well, at least technical issues :D
Open Office on 4.1.11 on Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: [Issue] [Workaround] Can't create one landscape page

Post by Lupp »

The attached file contains a drawing with 4 pages of which 3 are intended to print on ISO 216 A4 high, but one on ISO 216 A4 wide.
It's a demonstration of a provisional workaround with explanations. It worked for me on an old Kyocera FS 1030D with the KX driver.
You may try to automate the printing of differently orientzed pages with the help of user code. I'm not experienced with this kind of job.
WideAndHighPages.odg
(76.18 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München