[Solved] Rotate button is greyed out

Discuss the drawing application
rowan.bradley

[Solved] Rotate button is greyed out

Post by rowan.bradley »

I am using Writer. I have created a blank document, and inserted a picture from file. I now need to rotate the image 90 degrees, so it will fit. Initially there was no rotate button visible at all. I eventually worked out how to add the Rotate button to the drawing toolbar, but the button is greyed out. Initially it told me that I needed a JRE (although I already had one installed). I eventually worked out how to fix this too, but the rotate button is STILL greyed out, and I can't find how to rotate the image. I even tried rotating it outside OO and then reinserting it, but annoyingly when inserted into the document the image still shows in the original orientation.
How do I do this very simple task?

Thank you - Rowan
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8.1 X64
RoryOF

Re: Rotate button is greyed out

Post by RoryOF »

Using a graphics application rotate your picture outside of OpenOffice. Also adjust cropping, then save it to a new file (probably .png or .jpg), and insert that file into your document.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See 14. Rotating images in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images. Writer can only rotate an object copied in from Draw.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rowan.bradley

Post by rowan.bradley »

Oh dear. Why did they think that people didn't need to be able to rotate images (in 90 degree steps) in Writer? Why is there a Rotate button? Why is it greyed out?

My solution as to borrow my wife's computer (which has Word installed on it) and use Word, which does this perfectly well.

Rowan
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8.1 X64
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Rotate button is greyed out

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've tagged your topic as solved since you've a solution.

In LibreOffice there is such a button in the drawing toolbar of Writer.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
gpgrego

Re: [Solved] Rotate button is greyed out

Post by gpgrego »

And in OpenOffice, if anyone is interested, this extension is available,
with which in Writer you can rotate an image as many degrees as you want.

In AOO 4.1.10 must be used version writerrotationtool-1.0.3.oxt

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/co ... mment-3744
Attachments
rotate.jpg
writerrotationtool-1.0.3.oxt
(33.77 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
openoffice 4.1.6 - Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

rowan.bradley wrote:Oh dear. Why did they think that people didn't need to be able to rotate images (in 90 degree steps) in Writer?
Writer is a word processor - its primary function is to process words.

A program like IrfanView is a graphics editors - its primary function is to process graphics.

You can bang in a screw with a hammer but a screwdriver is designed to screw it in. Use the correct tool for the job.

See the tutorial.
It is far better to process your images in an image editor so that they are exactly how you want them to appear before inserting them into AOO.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.