Unable to save linked bitmaps with outlines

Discuss the drawing application
ScarfaceGB

Unable to save linked bitmaps with outlines

Post by ScarfaceGB »

I'm trying to save a linked bitmap I have imported into Draw after I have put outlines around the bitmap, but when I save it, the outlines disappear. The figures in the file attachments are snaps of everything I do and what happens.
Figure 1; the original, unedited image I have decided to use.
Figure 1; the original, unedited image I have decided to use.
2021-05-28.png (13.13 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Figure 2; the file loaded into Draw.
Figure 2; the file loaded into Draw.
2021-05-28 (1).png (8.47 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Figure 3; the file with the outline added in Draw. Figure 4; the new version of the file I have saved.
Figure 3; the file with the outline added in Draw. Figure 4; the new version of the file I have saved.
Is there a solution for this?
OpenOffice 3.0 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Unable to save linked bitmaps with outlines.

Post by RoryOF »

Instead of Saving the file, select the bordered graphic and try /File /Export as, selecting png (or desired format) from the file type dropdown.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ScarfaceGB

Post by ScarfaceGB »

RoryOF wrote:Instead of Saving the file, select the bordered graphic and try /File /Export as, selecting png (or desired format) from the file type dropdown.
How do I select the bordered graphic (I may find the way myself but I'm still awaiting your answer)?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Click on it and you will see the eight green handles delineating it.
ScarfaceGB

Post by ScarfaceGB »

RoryOF wrote:Click on it and you will see the eight green handles delineating it.
Well, I exported as PNG, but the bitmap is not transparent. Is there anything else I can do?
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Unable to save linked bitmaps with outlines

Post by Bill »

When exporting as PNG using AOO 4.1.10, the PNG Options dialog has an option to "Save transparency". If OOo 3.0 doesn't have that option, then you should upgrade.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
ScarfaceGB

Post by ScarfaceGB »

I just got a new computer at/near the end of 2020 and I found OpenOffice already installed on it, probably second hand but I wasn't told that, however I have been making activity packs using Microsoft Office somewhere and when I try to view them in OpenOffice, the document opens messed up, so I'll have to replace OpenOffice with Microsoft Office if I want to put it to good use. Fortunately I looked up ways to convert Microsoft Office documents to OpenOffice documents earlier today, I didn't read the whole page of my first search results and I didn't check the rest of my results, but I figured there isn't really any point in doing so. I think I really will have to get Microsoft Office and do what I tried in the screenshots of this post and lots of other kinds of work, but I may still be using OpenOffice, so once I have Microsoft Office, I may not need to give up or uninstall OpenOffice, I can probably use OpenOffice just for fun.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You should stay with one or the other - file interchange between the two will certainly cause problems with complex formatting.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ScarfaceGB wrote:I'm trying to save a linked bitmap I have imported into Draw after I have put outlines around the bitmap, but when I save it, the outlines disappear.
This appears to happen when the bitmap is inserted in a new Drawing and no other vector shapes have been added to the drawing before exporting. In that case, the outline is not exported with the bitmap. Workarounds that worked for me include right-clicking the bitmap and selecting Convert > To Metafile before exporting or just drawing a separate line in the document before exporting.
ScarfaceGB

Post by ScarfaceGB »

Bill wrote:
ScarfaceGB wrote:I'm trying to save a linked bitmap I have imported into Draw after I have put outlines around the bitmap, but when I save it, the outlines disappear.
This appears to happen when the bitmap is inserted in a new Drawing and no other vector shapes have been added to the drawing before exporting. In that case, the outline is not exported with the bitmap. Workarounds that worked for me include right-clicking the bitmap and selecting Convert > To Metafile before exporting or just drawing a separate line in the document before exporting.
Tried that, still no transparency.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Transparency works for me. Did you set the transparency for the area and the line before exporting?
ScarfaceGB

Post by ScarfaceGB »

Bill wrote:Transparency works for me. Did you set the transparency for the area and the line before exporting?
Yes, I've tried everything in the book but still no change.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Bill wrote:When exporting as PNG using AOO 4.1.10, the PNG Options dialog has an option to "Save transparency". If OOo 3.0 doesn't have that option, then you should upgrade.
ScarfaceGB wrote:I've tried everything in the book but still no change.
Did you upgrade? OOo 3.0.0 does not have the "save transparency" option for png export.
OOO 3.0.0
OOO 3.0.0
OOo 3.0.0 PNG Export Options.png (10.6 KiB) Viewed 8773 times
AOO 4.1.10 does have the "save transparency" option.
AOO 4.1.10
AOO 4.1.10
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Use this tool: https://onlinepngtools.com/create-transparent-png