[Solved] How to move an object with snap-to-grid?

Discuss the drawing application
TAB

[Solved] How to move an object with snap-to-grid?

Post by TAB »

Snap-to-grid works when drawing a line. It does not when moving an object, either with the mouse or the keyboard. In-particular, it would be nice to move by one snap step with ~Right, ~Left, ~Up, etc. Any suggestion?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri May 14, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
MrProgrammer

Re: How to move an object with snap-to-grid?

Post by MrProgrammer »

TAB wrote:Snap-to-grid works when drawing a line. It does not when moving an object, either with the mouse or the keyboard.
The feature works for me. Perhaps the snap feature will be easier for you to use with Subdivisions set to 1. I seldom use Draw and can't offer much assistance beyond what I find in the Draw Guide.
Positioning objects with snap functions on page 140
TAB wrote:In-particular, it would be nice to move by one snap step with ~Right, ~Left, ~Up, etc. Any suggestion?
On my system Shift + An arrow key does that.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I'm not a Draw user, so there may well be other ways to move objects to grid points. Let's say you draw a rectangle and want to reposition it onto different grid points. The key to doing this using the mouse seems to be clicking and beginning to drag right away. You can see the time allowed by first simply clicking on the rectangle so that it is selected. If you position the mouse cursor over the rectangle, without clicking, you will see that it becomes a cross with four arrow heads. If you then click and hold, you will see that it remains a cross for less than one second and then becomes the usual simple arrow but with a gray box at the tail.

If you begin to drag while the cursor is still a cross, you can move the shape to a grid position. When you drag the shape a sort of ghost image of it will move in increments of the grid. When you release the mouse button, the shape hops to the new position.

If you hold for too long before dragging and the cursor changes shape, then dragging will not visibly move the shape until you release the mouse button and then the point on the rectangle that was under the cursor will be moved to the position where the mouse button was released.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Tools > Options > Draw > Grid.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.