5 million downloads of AOO 3.4

Major announcements from the Apache mailing lists
RGB

5 million downloads of AOO 3.4

Post by RGB »

There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: 5 million downloads of AOO 3.4

Post by Villeroy »

[Solved] 100 million downloads: when ?
Those were the times, my friend.
We thought they'd never end ...
http://www.magistrix.de/lyrics/Mary%20H ... 20089.html (original: "Дорогой длинною")
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

Villeroy wrote:[Solved] 100 million downloads: when ?
Those were the times, my friend.
We thought they'd never end ...
http://www.magistrix.de/lyrics/Mary%20H ... 20089.html (original: "Дорогой длинною")
I used to have that on a 45, maybe still do, but I'd have to dig some to find it.

Meanwhile :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Is 5M a lot, or a little? Considering that previous versions were in the neighborhood of 100M (over a longer time, of course).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

At the beginning, I think that the point of comparison was the claim of 1M download from LibreOffice. AOO did the same in a much shorter time I think.
That's what I recall from the mailing list.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I think previous counts included all downloads from the web site. That is, language packs counted the same as a full install package. There may also be other counting differences. There was some discussion of this on the dev mailing list, but I'm too lazy to search for it. Not that such things could cause 5 million to become 100 million, but it does make comparisons difficult.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
acknak

Post by acknak »

It's a shame that there is that much interest in OOo and yet Sun & Oracle couldn't make it self-sustaining. Look at the money that the Mozilla foundation pulls in with a free, open source product with no (outright) advertising in it. Can you imagine what this project might look like if they could pull in even $1/copy toward a development budget?

I guess I can't complain: I haven't sent them anything yet.

Maybe some new support channels will open up from entities that wouldn't support Sun or Oracle, with the project now hosted by a non-profit, neutral party.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

IMO, 5 million on 6 weeks is not bad... and the trend is still growing. This is the best possible answer to all those IT journalists and bloggers who said, "who cares" when AOO 3.4 was released.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
robweir

Post by robweir »

FJCC wrote:I think previous counts included all downloads from the web site. That is, language packs counted the same as a full install package. There may also be other counting differences. There was some discussion of this on the dev mailing list, but I'm too lazy to search for it. Not that such things could cause 5 million to become 100 million, but it does make comparisons difficult.
The AOO 3.4 counts are for full install downloads, not including language packs, SDK's, etc. We're not quite certain what OOo counted in its numbers.

In any case, the OOo 3 claim was 100 million downloads from October 13, 2008 to October 28, 2009. But in that time frame there was a 3.0.1 release, a 3.1.0 release and a 3.1.1 release. It is not clear whether they counted all downloads, including the same person upgrading. Having more frequent releases will give you more downloads/user, obviously.

With AOO 3.4, we're only counting numbers from that single release.

If you do the math, OOo averaged 260K downloads/day. AOO 3.4, since launch, averaged 114K/day, though it is now closer to 170K with the update notifications enabled.

LibreOffice claimed 7.5 million downloads in their first year. That comes out to 20K/day. And again, it is not clear if that counts all downloads, including multiple downloads by the same user as they update from release to release.

So overall I think we're doing quite well. To do even better we need to increase the native language support, to restore some of the key translations. For example, we're missing languages like Swedish and Korean.
OOo 3.3.0 through AOO 4.0.1 on Windows XP/7/8/8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04
Apache OpenOffice Committer/PMC