Apache OpenOffice 3.4 has been released

Major announcements from the Apache mailing lists
orangeli

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 has been released

Post by orangeli »

ebworthen wrote: Are you out to screw up OpenOffice, give Microsoft more money, or chase us all to Google Docs?
We all encounter bugs, the hyperlink in table of contents disappears, split cells sometimes ruin the table etc..
No need to get angry, I'm sure the code will improve now that Lotus Symphony is merged with AOO.
LO 6.1.5.2 Debian
/a3

Post by /a3 »

orangeli wrote:We all encounter bugs, the hyperlink in table of contents disappears, split cells sometimes ruin the table etc..
No need to get angry, I'm sure the code will improve now that Lotus Symphony is merged with AOO.
Not completely, AFAIK. Apache OpenOffice 3.4 was a release for which they just got a release out which conformed with Apache's requrirements (ie. Apache License). Perhaps 3.4 did contain some parts of Symphony, but not many.

Apache OpenOffice 4 will probably contain more parts of Symphony though.
LibreOffice 4.2
TobiSan

Post by TobiSan »

Hello all,

I have been downloadedOpenOffice 3.4, and it is installing now as we speak.

Previously, I have not been participating on this forum, and only a short time ago I was suprised to find that OpenOffice also existed under the name of LibreOffice (it came pre-installed as I received a laptop from my brother. After a litte work with LibreOffice, and a litte bit of research on my hand, I find that I would like to contribute to the Apache OpenOffice Project, firstly and most importantly as an user.

My reasons for wanting to support the development of OpenOffice are diverse, but at the center of my attaention I find that Apache OpenOffice resonates well with my views upon software. Honestly, I really like the Windows environment, and LibreOffice must be (almost) as far from this ideal as one may get. I found it to be quirky, lagging and notorisously undocumented. Now, as I see that these things would be challenging for any open source project, I get the impresson that Apache OpenOffice want to differentiate itself through attention to details and quality.

I hope to stay around contributing with my user experiences, at least until the release of OpenOffice 4.

Best regards ;)
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows XP
OpenOffice 3.4 on Ubuntu 12.xx
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi TobiSan,

If you want some deeper insight, you can subscribe to the dev-ooo mailing list of the project, see the AOO web site support page. A lot of messages but it will show all the work under progress.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

You can subscribe to a feed of the dev list using this: http://markmail.org/atom/ooo-dev+list:o ... or.ooo-dev

For mailing lists, see this page: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeo ... lists.html
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
cpekow

Post by cpekow »

I keep getting the announcement that 3.4 is available and click here to download. I think I've downloaded it several times but I keep getting the message to download it. How do I know it's downloaded or make sure I've got it? Why do I still see this message asking me to download it when I open OpenOffice?
open office 3.3, Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You need to go to your Download directory (Operating System specific) and double click one of the downloaded files to install it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lovelljd@pobox.com

Post by lovelljd@pobox.com »

I have openoffice v3.0.0 running on my MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.8 and just found out about the new Apache OpenOffice v3.4.

I couldn't find anywhere to download an upgrade to 3.4, so does it require a full download/install? Will it replace the existing 3.0 or do I have to manually remove it?
Jeff Lovell
Mac OS X 10.5.8
OpenOffice v 3.0.0
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Go to http://www.openoffice.org and follow the download link. You have to download the entire, as always with OpenOffice.
RGB

Post by RGB »

lovelljd@pobox.com wrote:I have openoffice v3.0.0 running on my MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.8 and just found out about the new Apache OpenOffice v3.4.

I couldn't find anywhere to download an upgrade to 3.4, so does it require a full download/install?
Yes
lovelljd@pobox.com wrote:Will it replace the existing 3.0 or do I have to manually remove it?
Better uninstall 3.0 first.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Juym96

Post by Juym96 »

:) happy to read this.i am new here.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Tuesday, July 03, 2012
RGB wrote:Better uninstall 3.0 first.
You can leave 3.0 on the system - what you must change is the name of your profile in Documents and Settings. The 3.0 profile is not compatible with the 3.4 profile setup and it will cause problems. Uninstalling 3.0 will not affect the profile.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
cafox513

Post by cafox513 »

OO 3.4 seems to have lost the ability to convert WordPerfect documents -- or am I missing something?

This is not the end of the world -- I've been using OO for years. But old documents, especially those that refer to earlier history with my wife's family, are still .WPD. It would be really good if I could rescue and save them.

Thanks for any help. (I've already tried the Filter Options, with half a dozen or more variations -- no luck.)
AOOo 4.0.1 on Mac Mavericks 10.9.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

See this thread and the threads linked off it:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=54910
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Friday, July 06, 2012
cafox513 wrote:OO 3.4 seems to have lost the ability to convert WordPerfect documents -- or am I missing something?
Other threads will provide you with information about arounds, but since this is a release notice thread - the WordPerfect filters were removed from 3.4 because of licensing issues. Since then security issues have been found with the filter.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
mrsmoogers

Post by mrsmoogers »

Here comes a newbie question about this new release. Or maybe 2 questions.
1. Should I uninstall previous versions of openoffice prior to installing a new version especially THIS new version.
2. When I got this new computer I went from the familiar windows xp sp3, 32 bit, open office 3 to a foreign land of windows 7 sp1 64 bit and now a new release of Open Office. I just read a rather distraught post about installing the 3.4 version not working on the windows 7 64 bit. I realize the poster was upset, but I too, would like to know the answer to his question. I have had nothing but headaches since getting the win 7 64 bit. :shock:

It seems while I was writing this post, the same question was asked. However, now I need to know just how one changes one's profile--do you rename it or what?
Last edited by mrsmoogers on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 Windows 7 64 bit pc
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The previous version should be removed automatically.

There is no 64bit version for Windows and it works fine with 32bit on a 64bit system.
mrsmoogers

Post by mrsmoogers »

Hagar Delest wrote:The previous version should be removed automatically.

There is no 64bit version for Windows and it works fine with 32bit on a 64bit system.
Really? Thank you very much for the quick answer.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 Windows 7 64 bit pc
AzFred

Post by AzFred »

This is my second post with the same question but now it is more damaging to my data. I cannot save anything in MS word even though Open Office has been uninstalled.

No word docts will open, No MS Publisher docs with images will open.

No answer, worse I am being ignored by open office support with hundreds of hours of production lost.
AzFred

Post by AzFred »

Well it is Friday the 13th, My last post it seems did not post on this forum.

I had Open office 3.3 and it lived in harmony with MS Office. I "up graded" to Open Office 3.4 and the 3.4 GRABBED all of my files nad rendered them useless in their native language. Then the Open office progrems would not open images or graphics at all. Countless hours of production LOST!

Open office is pure hell for marketing based bussiness and while my sense of humor remains healthy, I am one very unhappy camper.

If I bailed out I will go away quietly?

anyone?
acknak

Post by acknak »

I moved your post over here (link): Apache OpenOffice 3.4 upgrade grabbed my files

Seems better to discuss each problem separately, no?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
CP654321

Post by CP654321 »

A single deb file for Ubuntu users would simplify the installation procedure considerably. Unfortunately I don't have any experience in building .deb files so I am unable to volunteer to do the work. Would it not be possible for a single click to download the deb, remove all old libreoffice files, install the package and update gnome so that everything gets put in the correct place? This would make it considerably easier for the average guy in the street to install the software.
OpenOffice.org 3.4.0 Ubuntu Release 10.04 (lucid) Kernel Linux 2.6.32-41-generic Gnome 2.30.2
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

There are several threads on the dev list about a build for Ubuntu. Lacking sufficient interest in the subject, I soon gave up looking for a particularly pertinent one so I am giving you merely the results of my search on markmail.org.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RGB

Post by RGB »

There is a deb repo here:

Unofficial Apache OO Debian repository

but you need to remove other packages by yourself first.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
njdriver

Post by njdriver »

I'm just abit confused over the 'Apache' version. Should I upgrade from v3.3 to 3.4? I use Windows Vista with IE or Firefox.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows Vista Home Basic
acknak

Post by acknak »

There are some nice improvements in 3.4, but there is an important bug fix update due in the next few weeks; I'd wait for that unless there's some new feature that you really need right now.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There was also a security fix in 3.4.0 regarding documents in ODF format. So upgrading is the best solution. But you can indeed wait for a few days for the 3.4.1 release. Note that there are sometimes problems with the user profile, making a backup can be a good bet before upgrading: [Tutorial] The User Profile.
orangeli

Post by orangeli »

Any news about 3.4.1?
LO 6.1.5.2 Debian
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A few weeks yet. I'd think mid-August at earliest. Little bugs and awkwardnesses still being sorted.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

My copy of 3.4.1 for Debian (build 9591) seems to be a final release. It has no separate profile and it replaced the preceeding version.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice