Major announcements from the Apache mailing lists
lgusaas
Volunteer

[Solved] AOO 3.4 (incubating) Release Candidate available

Post by lgusaas »

AOO 3.4 (incubating) Release Candidate
is now availabable
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... +Candidate
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
RGB

Re: AOO 3.4 (incubating) Release Candidate available

Post by RGB »

Note that this is a "candidate to be release candidate": it is not the release candidate yet. A vote is starting now to decide if this release will be the "RC" or not. It is highly probable that it will be the first release candidate but for now, it is just another "unofficial development build".
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

RGB wrote:Note that this is a "candidate to be release candidate": it is not the release candidate yet. A vote is starting now to decide if this release will be the "RC" or not. It is highly probable that it will be the first release candidate but for now, it is just another "unofficial development build".
No. It is the release candidate. The vote is on it becoming first incubator release for Apache OpenOffice.

See http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbo ... ail.com%3e
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

What does "OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating)" mean?

Where does an "Incubator release" fit in the Alpha>Beta>RC>Final sequence?
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
orangeli

Post by orangeli »

Great news!
Thank you :)

PS why isn't it available to download at www.openoffice.org ?
LO 6.1.5.2 Debian
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Ed2 wrote:Where does an "Incubator release" fit in the Alpha>Beta>RC>Final sequence?
I was under the impression that after a release, the project would no longer be considered incubating.
orangeli wrote:PS why isn't it available to download at www.openoffice.org ?
Because it is a Release Candidate, aimed at testers who are willing to see broken things.
LibreOffice 4.2
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

/a3 wrote:
Ed2 wrote:Where does an "Incubator release" fit in the Alpha>Beta>RC>Final sequence?
I was under the impression that after a release, the project would no longer be considered incubating.
That doesn't fit with the discussion of releasing this as 3.4 (incubating), whatever that means. It doesn't say anywhere how the 3.4 (incubating) release relates to the actual 3.4 release, and where a so-called "incubator release" comes in the development process.
/a3 wrote:
orangeli wrote:PS why isn't it available to download at http://www.openoffice.org ?
Because it is a Release Candidate, aimed at testers who are willing to see broken things.
Release candidates should be available from the developer release section of the official page, and always have been in the past.

The lack of any official public testing releases, as well as the complete lack of public communication from the developers, is rather worrying.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Ed2 wrote:What does "OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating)" mean?
APACHE OPENOFFICE (INCUBATING) is the project, a part of Apache, that now owns and controls OpenOffice.org.
AOO 3.4 (incubating) Release Candidate, which hopefully will become the release version, is the projects first release, and the successor to OOo 3.3.
You have the terminology wrong. When approved, it will be the official release developed by the APACHE OPENOFFICE (INCUBATING) project.

Read about the project at http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

Read about what an incubation project at Apache is at http://incubator.apache.org/
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

/a3 wrote:
The release of the program is the next step to being accepted as an Apache project. The project still has to be approved by Apache.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

lgusaas wrote:
Ed2 wrote:What does "OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating)" mean?
APACHE OPENOFFICE (INCUBATING) is the project, a part of Apache, that now owns and controls OpenOffice.org.
AOO 3.4 (incubating) Release Candidate, which hopefully will become the release version, is the projects first release, and the successor to OOo 3.3.
You have the terminology wrong. When approved, it will be the official release developed by the APACHE OPENOFFICE (INCUBATING) project.

Read about the project at http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

Read about what an incubation project at Apache is at http://incubator.apache.org/
That still doesn't explain how Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) relates to Apache OpenOffice 3.4, and what stage in the development process an "incubator" release is.

Is an "incubator" release an alpha, a beta, a release candidate or some intermediate stage (in which case which of these stages is it between)?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Ed2 wrote:That still doesn't explain how Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) relates to Apache OpenOffice 3.4, and what stage in the development process an "incubator" release is.

Is an "incubator" release an alpha, a beta, a release candidate or some intermediate stage (in which case which of these stages is it between)?
Did you read the links I gave? You really should do some research, since I already answered your question

Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) will be the first product released by Apache OenOffice (Incubating). It is the final release version of AOO 3.4

After the project graduates from Apache's incubation process, the next release will be Apache OpenOffice 4.0
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

lgusaas wrote:Did you read the links I gave? You really should do some research, since I already answered your question
Yes I did read the links, no they do not state where an "incubating" release fits in the Alpha>Beta>RC process, and no you have not already answered my simple direct question.
lgusaas wrote:Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) will be the first product released by Apache OenOffice (Incubating). It is the final release version of AOO 3.4
Is AOO 3.4 (incubating) is the same thing as AOO 3.4? If to then why not save all the confusion and say AOO 3.4 in the first place?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Ed2 wrote:
lgusaas wrote:Did you read the links I gave? You really should do some research, since I already answered your question
Yes I did read the links, no they do not state where an "incubating" release fits in the Alpha>Beta>RC process, and no you have not already answered my simple direct question.
You need to improve your reading comprehension. There is no such thing as an "incubating" release. There is a release by Apache OpenOffice (Incubating). It is the final stage in the release process
lgusaas wrote:Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) will be the first product released by Apache OenOffice (Incubating). It is the final release version of AOO 3.4
Is AOO 3.4 (incubating) is the same thing as AOO 3.4? If to then why not save all the confusion and say AOO 3.4 in the first place?
The (incubating) is added because the AOO project is still in incubation. When the project graduates the next release will not have (incubating) in its name.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

lgusaas wrote:There is no such thing as an "incubating" release.
The mailing list refers to a release of "Apache OpenOffice (Incubating)", and you referred to an "incubator release". Neither of these apparently related terms are well documented, and I think it was clear enough that my question was attempting to find out what they mean.
lgusaas wrote:The (incubating) is added because the AOO project is still in incubation. When the project graduates the next release will not have (incubating) in its name.
Thank you for explaining that eventually. It would have, however, been better if you had answered the question that I asked in the first place without the multiple posts of unrelated jargon, condescending remarks, links to more jargon that does not answer the question, and claims to have answered the question when you hadn't.

A coherent direct answer is usually preferable. You might want to bear this in mind next time you see a simple direct question.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Ed2 wrote:
The mailing list refers to a release of "Apache OpenOffice (Incubating)", and you referred to an "incubator release". Neither of these apparently related terms are well documented, and I think it was clear enough that my question was attempting to find out what they mean.
"incubator release" was your term, not mine. There is no documentation on that term because there is no such thing as an "incubator release".
A coherent direct answer is usually preferable. You might want to bear this in mind next time you see a simple direct question.
My previous post, http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 91#p230402 , answered your simplistic question. Your inability to comprehend it is your problem. Goodbye.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

lgusaas wrote:
Ed2 wrote:
"incubator release" was your term, not mine. There is no documentation on that term because there is no such thing as an "incubator release".
It was definitely your term. See the third post down in this thread:
lgusaas wrote:...
No. It is the release candidate. The vote is on it becoming first incubator release for Apache OpenOffice.
Which begs the question why did you use a term that you admit yourself there is no such thing?
lgusaas wrote:
My previous post, http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 91#p230402 , answered your simplistic question.
No it didn't. You first post did not contain a coherent explanation of what "incubating" means, nor did it state where an ["intubating" release/in your words "incubator released"/release whose version number contains "(incubating)"] fits into the Alpha>Beta>RC sequence.
lgusaas wrote: Your inability to comprehend it is your problem. Goodbye.
You need to reconsider your tone. That comment comes across as rude and condescending, and so do a number of other comments you have made in this thread.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Ed2 wrote:
lgusaas wrote:...
Which begs the question why did you use a term that you admit yourself there is no such thing?
!. You took it out of context (and put it in bold text). A more precise formation would have been "The vote is on it becoming the first Apache OpenOffice (Incubator) release", which should have been clear if you had read the website.
You need to reconsider your tone.

Nope.
That comment comes across as rude and condescending, and so do a number of other comments you have made in this thread.
Good. Good bye
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

I downloaded and installed AOO 3.4 (incubating) Release Candidate.
From the AOO 3.4 Release Notes page, under the heading, "ODF Spreadsheet supports new Conditional Functions," I learnt the following functions are supported: COUNTIFS, SUMIFS, AVERAGEIF and AVERAGEIFS. However, when I tried COUNTIFS and SUMIFS functions, they don't work (I didn't try the others). Am I missing something?
I am familiar with, and use SUMPRODUCT.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
/a3

Post by /a3 »

What I originally meant by what I said about the status as incubating is that for any Apache project to be approved, they have to release at least once. There are other requirements for becoming a top-level project, but that is one of them, and arguably the most important.

Also, since AOO is still a part of the podling it must have the name "incubating" in the release name.

You can read all about it at https://incubator.apache.org/incubation ... l#Releases.
ed2 wrote:Release candidates should be available from the developer release section of the official page, and always have been in the past.

The lack of any official public testing releases, as well as the complete lack of public communication from the developers, is rather worrying.
Well, if you read the page that I provided you'll find that Apache doesn't endorse podling releases, which is probably why it has been left so quiet. I imagine once AOO becomes a top-level project it will be a little bit more "noisy". ;)
LibreOffice 4.2
orangeli

Post by orangeli »

quiet or noisy, Steve Balmer is in panic and spamming this forum. :)
LO 6.1.5.2 Debian
orangeli

Post by orangeli »

How to install this version in Debian?
using dpkg -i *.deb doesn't replace 3.2.1 currently installed.
Thanks!
LO 6.1.5.2 Debian
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It should (or perhaps it removes only 3.3). Else, remove the old packages.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

There are some problems on Linux installing on top of an existing installation (some packages from the old install remains). For now, it is better to uninstall 3.3 first
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice