UX Matters Not If You Can't Work The Program!

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
Brainheil

UX Matters Not If You Can't Work The Program!

Post by Brainheil »

What is going on with OpenOffice lately? I've tried installing the updates, rolling back, and nothing. Calc, Writer, and all the programs crash regularly running on Windows 10 (regularly updated). I can't even get through five minutes of work without it crashing. And even when I put on the autosave work option for as low as one minute, it does NOT autosave anything. I've sat there and timed it -- nothing. Then I try to save it regularly, and it crashes. Sometimes it will even crash while on Ctrl + S.

I've been using OpenOffice for over half a decade now, but I'm getting real tired of this. I've lost hours and hours over the past 6 - 8 months trying to figure out what is going wrong with OO. If a fix isn't made soon, I'm just going to scrap the whole thing and go to Microsoft or Google. It's already hard enough to transfer files over to Microsoft users, and the lack of support for .docx files in this day and age is atrocious.
F U OO,
OpenOffice 4 Fuck you Windows 10
FJCC

Re: UX Matters Not If You Can't Work The Program!

Post by FJCC »

I suggest you reset your user profile. Shutdown OpenOffice and open any folder. Enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top. Rename the user folder to user_old. Restart OpenOffice and you should get the registration screen. Is it more stable now?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: UX Matters Not If You Can't Work The Program!

Post by John_Ha »

Faulty Windows 10 updates are known to cause AOO problems - search the forum for the update numbers. Be certain your W10 is fully up to date.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.