Print comments in margin of Writer docs

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
DocRocks

Print comments in margin of Writer docs

Post by DocRocks »

I'm a long time MS Office user and am trying out the current version of OpenOffice for Win10. I'm surprised there is no option to print comments in the margin of Write documents while LibreOffice does offer that option. The text size is smaller but the comments appear close to the sections of text that they belong to. Checking in the OO forum I see there was a request for this option as far back as 2013. I like OpenOffice and appreciate it is a free app, but would also like to have this option available. Is there a plan to do add it?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Print comments in margin of Writer docs

Post by RusselB »

Off topic, but you state that you are using the current version of Open Office for Windows 10, which is version 4.1.5, yet your forum signature shows you using OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8.
I'd recommend that you update your forum signature via the User Control Panel, which has a link on the top left of the page.

In regards to your query, we are end users, just like you, and have no more knowledge or input regarding the making of requests and/or the implementation of the same.

As you already have determined that LibreOffice does offer the option that you want, I'm going to suggest that you use LibreOffice. It's a fork of OpenOffice, therefore has a lot of functions that work the same, and is free to use. For most people the differences in the licencing between OpenOffice and LibreOffice are inconsequential, there are differences.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
DocRocks

Post by DocRocks »

Thanks for the quick response. It has been awhile since I joined the forum and last posted when I was still using Win8 - I'll update. I take it that the OO developers don't follow this forum so I will see what I can do to make my request in another way. And, I'll definitely use LibreOffice which, as you note, is a fork of OO and has a very similar UI plus some added features like comment printing.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

[Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions will guide you on how to make a suggestion to the developers.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

DocRocks wrote:Checking in the OO forum I see there was a request for this option as far back as 2013.
I guess you have found this one: [Issue] Printing Notes on Same Page?

I did not heard of any plan for that in the dev mailing list. You can vote for the enhancement request (bug 94514), o at least leave a comment in the report (or the dev mailing list).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10