Password Protected Files

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
3guesses

Re: Password Protected Files

Post by 3guesses »

Villeroy wrote:The requested feature won't be implemented because it presumes a security flaw (one password for all docs). I wrote a simple customization macro just for you. Use it or leave it.
It makes no such presumption. Indeed, it would in all likelihood increase the security of users' data by encouraging them to password-protect their files; I have absolutely no statistics to back up my suspicions, but I suspect that 99% of all documents created using AOO are NOT password-protected.

On the other hand, it is extremely presumptive of you to assert that "the requested feature won't be implemented".

Thanks for the offer, but I will leave your macro.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 (Build 9567) on Windows XP Pro SP3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with Villeroy and for the same reasons: I do not expect that this feature will be implemented.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

3guesses wrote:It makes no such presumption.
Initial posting wrote:I password-protect some of the files I create with OpenOffice just so that they are not readily accessible should they fall into somebody's else hands, and I use the same password for all of the files. I would really like the ability to sort of "logon" to OO with this password ...
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
3guesses

Post by 3guesses »

RoryOF wrote:I agree with Villeroy and for the same reasons: I do not expect that this feature will be implemented.
You are, of course, very welcome to your opinion. But I should like to note that this is exactly the same functionality as offered by VeraCrypt.
3guesses

Post by 3guesses »

Villeroy wrote:
3guesses wrote:It makes no such presumption.
Initial posting wrote:I password-protect some of the files I create with OpenOffice just so that they are not readily accessible should they fall into somebody's else hands, and I use the same password for all of the files. I would really like the ability to sort of "logon" to OO with this password ...
There is no PRESUMPTION by the application. It is merely an OPTION offered to the user. Again, I should like to note that my request is for exactly the same functionality as offered by VeraCrypt.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Well, and my macro does a fairly good job for those who happen to know what "VeraCrypt" does.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
3guesses

Post by 3guesses »

Villeroy wrote:Well, and my macro does a fairly good job for those who happen to know what "VeraCrypt" does.
It's a kludge (that's the technical term). This functionality should be built into the application - as is the case with VeraCrypt.