JRE selection is not user-friendly

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
jimmy_student

JRE selection is not user-friendly

Post by jimmy_student »

Please add the following:
1) An additional step during the installation process of subsequent versions that prompts the user to select a JRE.
2) Change the language of JRE errors to say this:
OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. This computer's JRE seems to be one of the following: 1) not selected in OpenOffice, 2) not installed on the computer, or 3) defective. Please select a JRE via Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Java. If a selected JRE does not work, then it is either incompatible or defective. If no JRE is listed there, then either you need to install a JRE or the currently installed one is defective.
...instead of this...
OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please select another version or install a new JRE and select it under Tools - Options - OpenOffice - Java.
Why?
1) OO does not automatically choose a JRE, causing some features to not work, such as the Help file. (Not having full access to the Help file is a real killjoy!)
2) The error says that the JRE is "defective", a description which often is incorrect, sending the user's mind spinning with ideas regarding "defective" JRE.
3) When no JREs are selected, the radio button looks a bit like a mere bullet point. This may cause users to think any JREs listed are already selected, especially if the user's mind is spinning with ideas regarding "defective" JRE.
4) Bottom line: Installation, in regard to JRE selection, is not user-friendly.

My story:

I just installed v4.1.1 and had to go through the frustration of figuring out why the Help file was not working. (How am I supposed to figure out anything if the Help file is not working??) I had tried to search for some topics under the "Find" tab, but OO gave me a Java Runtime Environment error, saying that my JRE was defective. ...but my JRE was not defective.

The error message told me to manually select a JRE, via Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Java. ...but looking in that spot, I saw that I already had a JRE installed. At first glance, since I was thinking "Crap, my JRE is defective!", the radio button looked like a mere bullet point, so I thought OO already had my JRE selected, and that my JRE was defective.

After searching around the Internet, it seemed that everyone pointed to using that Options directory to fix the problem. So I went back and looked again, and finally realized that it was actually a radio button, not merely a bullet point. I selected my JRE and now it works. My JRE is not defective! What a mess.
~ jimmy
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows XP
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: JRE selection is not user-friendly

Post by Zizi64 »

Please add the following:
1) An additional step during the installation process of subsequent versions that prompts the user to select a JRE.
2) Change the language of JRE errors to say this:
There are no developers hanging out here. We are just Users like yourself.

There are bug report portals, where you can propose new features.
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm writing from memory: I think the wording for the JRE defective message has been changed and will be incorporated into the next release of OO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jimmy_student wrote:1) OO does not automatically choose a JRE...
It does for me, using JRE 1.8.0_45 on Windows 10.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jimmy_student wrote:Please add the following:
That may be difficult if not impossible. It would require a change in the way JRE selection is handled. Currently, the JRE selection is a user setting stored in the user profile, not a program setting. During new and clean installations, no user profiles exist.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
ehume

Post by ehume »

Zizi64 wrote: . . . There are no developers hanging out here. We are just Users like yourself.

There are bug report portals, where you can propose new features.
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/
These are two very important bits of information. Thank you so much.

I have found another user who agrees with me that Java is a security problem. So I left an addition to the preexisting bug. Thank you again, sir.

[solved]Edit: Now this is ugly. I installed JRE. OO does not allow me to open Help, wants a JRE.
I restart my computer. OO does not allow me to open Help, wants a JRE.
I reinstall OO. OO does not allow me to open Help, wants a JRE.

Back to Bugzilla.
Last edited by ehume on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As OpenOffice is a 32 bit application it requires a 32 bit Java to be installed and selected (/Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Java). The 32 bit Java will run alongside the 64 bit Java if using a 64 bit version of Windows. Download 32 bit java from http://www.java.com; it will have 586 in its filename.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Thank you. That worked. I got my help. Now I can uninstall Java again. But I'll bookmark your excellent instructions.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I tried to describe all possible JRE problems in viewtopic.php?f=74&t=69896&p=312085#p312085 (updated today).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ehume

Post by ehume »

Villeroy wrote:I tried to describe all possible JRE problems in viewtopic.php?f=74&t=69896&p=312085#p312085 (updated today).
A most excellent reference. Since I uninstalled JRE, and I will be reinstalling/uninstalling JRE each time I need it, your link will be most helpful. Thanks.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

There is no reason, that I'm aware of, to consistently uninstall/reinstall Java/JRE each time you need it.
I run a 32 bit version of Java for programs like Open Office that require the 32 bit along with a 64 bit version with no (known) difficulties.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Once a 32 bit Java has been installed and selected in OpenOffice, it wlll remember to use that Java version. There will be no need to reinstall it, unless Windows housekeeping removes it.
ehume

Post by ehume »

RusselB wrote:There is no reason, that I'm aware of, to consistently uninstall/reinstall Java/JRE each time you need it.
I run a 32 bit version of Java for programs like Open Office that require the 32 bit along with a 64 bit version with no (known) difficulties.
Java is insecure rot. I install it, use it, then uninstall it to keep my exposure to a minimum. If I can, I run with no net connection. Sound paranoid? Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean They are not trying to get you.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

All security flaws were related to the "sand box in a browser" concept. There were hardly any viable exploits targeted at local Java applications and components. Oracle seems to have learned something. Security updates for Java8 arrive in acceptable intervals (quarterly, not weekly) but they are still related to browser apps.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice