UX proposal, a relatively easy way to improve OpenOffice vi

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
lilicus

UX proposal, a relatively easy way to improve OpenOffice vi

Post by lilicus »

I posted similar post to LibreOffice page.

Idea is the following: all toolbars will have the same (fixed) position while above toolbar you can select which toolbar to use. In this case, menus are still kept while ribbons from Microsoft Office is not imitated. I find this even better solution than Ribbons (image is attached).

I believe this is not difficult to implement. Users could also select the way toolbars behave (fixed position or usual).

Default way of appearing toolbars can disturb you. For example: you draw a line in Impress and "Line and Formatting" toolbar pop up or appear on toolbar line (in this case your content/ slide is moved or zoom out). Also, they take too much space since you use more that one toolbar at the time.
Attachments
Example
Example
OpenOffice 4.1 on Ubuntu 14.04
acknak

Re: UX proposal, a relatively easy way to improve OpenOffice

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Thanks for your suggestion. This is a good place to discuss ideas but it's not the place for making proposals--for that you need to submit an issue in the bug tracker: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
... toolbars will have the same (fixed) position while above toolbar you can select which toolbar to use. ...
Won't that require an extra menu/click every time you need a different toolbar? I think that might be a problem.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

acknak wrote:Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Thanks for your suggestion. This is a good place to discuss ideas but it's not the place for making proposals--for that you need to submit an issue in the bug tracker: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
... toolbars will have the same (fixed) position while above toolbar you can select which toolbar to use. ...
Won't that require an extra menu/click every time you need a different toolbar? I think that might be a problem.
+1

It would make much more sense to define your own custom toolbar with buttons for all functions that you actually use and then to hide all the predefined functions that you never or hardly ever use. Then you might end with one toolbar with everything on it that you want.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
acknak

Post by acknak »

By the way, there are some workarounds available for stopping the pop-ups.

Personally, I've just learned to live with it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23