OO doesn't want to let go of a file after closing the file

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

OO doesn't want to let go of a file after closing the file

Postby RobertP » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:09 pm

I've run into an aggravating issue. I've been looking at text files while organizing hard drives to decide what to do with the files. However once it's been opened in OO, I can't cut/move or delete the file until I close OO, apparently it maintains a "handle" on the file even after it's been closed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows XP Professional SP3
RobertP

Re: OO doesn't want to let go of a file after closing the fi

Postby kingfisher » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:57 am

Look in the folder containing the file. You may see a file with a name such as ".~lock.yourfile#". The lock should disappear once the parent file is closed. If it doesn't, you can probably delete it with your file manager. I don't know why a lock file wouldn't automatically disappear; you may need to reset your profile / settings folder.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on PCLinuxOS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: OO doesn't want to let go of a file after closing the fi

Postby RoryOF » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:43 am

I'm remembering back to earlier Windows days, as I don't use Windows much now. When I was first experimenting with a home network, I found that sometimes Windows locked a file (this is different to OO's lock files) and it could take some time for the Windows locking to be released - I have a memory of 47 minutes, but it is only a fuzzy memory.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to MS Windows