[enhancement] Captions

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
aschwarz1309

[enhancement] Captions

Post by aschwarz1309 »

I'm a newbie (so I'm in an ideal position to tatter on). I've tried to use the caption facility with only limited success. So I have the following suggestion(s).
1: The user should be able to assign anything as a caption.
2: The user should be able to refer to any caption, either by title, eg., Table xxx, or name, eg., "This is a something", or both "Table xxx This is Something" in the document. That is, when a caption reference is made the reference expansion can be to either the table/figure/other or to the associated text or both.
3: The user should be able to specify that the caption be associated with another object, eg., table or figure, and specify where the caption can go with respect to the related object, eg. before, after, to the left, right or whatever. The object need not be restricted to a table or figure.
4: The user should be able to specify whether the caption has multiple lines and the relation between the user text and the OO caption.
5: The user should be able to specify where the related text will appear with respect to a caption (figure or table). Whether the caption text is before or after the table or figure designator, on the same line or different line.
6: A more expansive numbering scheme should be available. For example, in some cases I prefer that my figures or tables be labeled Figure section.subsection,...-# (Figure 2.3.4.5-2) and in other cases a simple scheme such as Figure # will do. The level of subsections to use should be selectable so that if I am in Section 2.3.4.5 I can select that subsection label be truncated at the 2nd level.
7: The ability to continue the caption for a table on multiple pages, annotated with a "cont'd". Perhaps something like
" Table 3 This is a Table" on the first page, and
"Table 3 cont'd" on successive pages
8: The ability to specify a named classification for captions and to associate captions with this classification and to output the classification name and all members of the classification in the Table of Contents. You have this for Figures and Tables (and Sections), but suppose a user wants to have a separate class such as "Illustrations".
9: Automatic updates to captions when the items with the same classification are inserted or deleted, or the object related to the caption (and the caption) are moved.

As I say, I am a real newbie. Some of the suggestions may already be available, but I just haven't read about them yet, or what's more likely, read and misunderstood them. In the document that I am writing I would benefit from all the suggestions.

art
AOO 4.0.0 Win 7 Pro SP1
After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations.
-- H. L. Mencken, on Shakespeare
acknak

Re: [enhancement] Captions

Post by acknak »

Thanks for taking the time to write those suggestions down.

Unfortunately it's not likely that they'll be seen by someone who's in a position to do something about them: the forum is almost purely OO users; very few developers hang out here.

[Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions

Also, many of the suggestions are already available although maybe not so obvious how to get the effect you're after. If you want to discuss them, it would be better to take them one at a time, rather than mixing up several different issues under one topic.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23