Harvesting UX Data

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
RGB

Harvesting UX Data

Post by RGB »

Kevin Grignon started a page on the project wiki to gather user experience (UX) feedback from different sources and that of course include a section for the forums.

IMO, this is just a first step to help close the gap between users and developers. Someone interested on helping? Discussing changes and adding links to those discussions is a good step forward.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Re: Harvesting UX Data

Post by Hagar Delest »

RGB wrote:IMO, this is just a first step to help close the gap between users and developers.
+1.
Good idea. What is expected? To tell users who ask for such improvements in the forum to create a wiki account and file it themselves (poor success I fear) or that they PM a Volunteer (agreeing in this topic such role) who will do the wiki part?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

I think it is up to us to agree on a method.

One possible way is to open a dedicated subforum (here at "Site Feedback", maybe?), to discuss suggestions, maybe bug reports and other ideas, and if a thread goes well then report it.

We did a small experiment on the ES forums that I think was quite successful (a couple of bug reports, tons of translation fixes and a small feature request)... but we are a small group, here maybe we have the "critical mass" to start this with more strength and continuity.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I think we should even open a forum in Community in parallel with General Discussion and Site Feedback to avoid making it a sub-forum (too much hidden).
That could be an entry point for people wanting to participate more directly to the improvement of the project.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree - open a dedicated Forum and as feasible proposals arise (not "blue sky" proposals") and crystalise, we can raise a bug or post them to the mailing lists.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:I think we should even open a forum in Community in parallel with General Discussion and Site Feedback to avoid making it a sub-forum (too much hidden).
That could be an entry point for people wanting to participate more directly to the improvement of the project.
+1
It seems we have a plan... :mrgreen:

robweir

Post by robweir »

RGB wrote:I think it is up to us to agree on a method.
Is there any facility in phpBB, natively or via an extension, for tagging a post?

Having something like that, especially if we can search for it, would be idea. Then we could tag posts as "feature idea", "FAQ candidate", "possible volunteer", etc.

-Rob
OOo 3.3.0 through AOO 4.0.1 on Windows XP/7/8/8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04
Apache OpenOffice Committer/PMC
RGB

Post by RGB »

robweir wrote:Is there any facility in phpBB, natively or via an extension, for tagging a post?
AFAIK, not native but there are several MODs that provide the functionality. I do not have the technical background to know which one is the best one, though.

A phpBB based forum with a working tag system is the KDE Community Forum.

(BTW, they have a button to tag threads as solved... that would be nice...)

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

As a starter, we could add some tags at the beginning of the topic title like: [RFE], [FAQ], ...

Have created the new forum, moved this topic inside and made it a sticky as an explanation of this forum. If someone spots an existing topic worth moving here, just report it.