Why does OpenOffice constantly crash?

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
chrussy

Why does OpenOffice constantly crash?

Post by chrussy »

Hello,

Whether it's on this brand new laptop or my previous one Open Office constantly crashes.

One of the reasons it does that is when I want to "push" information down on a document by using ENTER.
I have to do maximum 3 clicks of ENTER then save otherwise it shuts down on me and I have to recover the document through the automatic recover function.

So imagine I have this sentence "blablablabla" that I want to push down on the document to leave some space, I want it to go down 20 lines.
Well, using ENTER it will crash.

The other major bug in this program is with lines ------------ that I fill in with colour. If I push down one of those, from page 1 to 2 the line will hang onto
the separation between the pages and a third unnecessary line will appear. I've added a picture to describe it, but these parasite line can't be erased,
It's really very strange.

That's 2 major bugs that I have to work with daily and I think ought to be fixed!
bbbjjj.PNG
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: why does open office constantly crash?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum?

I'm quite sure it's a problem with borders/tables that can be easily fixed.
But we need to have a look at the actual file. Can you upload it (see: How to attach a document here)? Or at least an excerpt showing the problem.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Why does OpenOffice constantly crash?

Post by John_Ha »

Strange problems are usually fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

Guessing from your image, the grey line is a paragraph (or frame? table?) border below the text above it so it will never spill to the next page unless the text it borders spills as well.

Only seeing an example file will enable a diagnosis to be made. I can press Enter hundreds of times without problems.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date AOO Writer for Students and the Writer User Guide. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
chrussy

Post by chrussy »

I have added a video of the problem:

https://youtu.be/O7u6-DQSygM
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. What happened when you reset the profile?

2. Have you tried another, different file? Does it happen with that file?
chrussy wrote:I have added a video of the problem: https://youtu.be/O7u6-DQSygM
That's not much more use for diagnosis than the image.

I trust you will appreciate that AOO doesn't do that for hundreds of millions of other users.

3. If you want the problem solved, we need you to follow the suggestions you are given and, especially, we need the actual file to be uploaded (or one or two pages from it showing the problem) so the file can be analysed to find out why it happens only to you.

Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
chrussy

Post by chrussy »

Thank you ! I won't upload this exact one but I will send a different one that doesn't even stay open,
I open it for a second, it crashes and shuts down. Yesterday it worked, this morning it doesn't.

Open Office crashed a lot on my old PC. When I bought this new one, I reinstalled it and it did the same.
I assumed it happened to everyone and not just to me.
chrussy

Post by chrussy »

verbs used.odt
File that doesn;t stay open and immediately crashes.
(17.68 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Opens correctly for me, giving 9 pages of tables.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
chrussy

Post by chrussy »

Hi thanks for checking it out. I was going to say "Don't bother"

I don't want to be a prat but I chose to download a competitor's program which opens my document and doesn't crash.

This problem had been going on ever since I can remember and I think I will stick with them now.

I just want a peaceful life : )
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There is no 'prat' about finding something that works for you; good that you have a solution to your problem. If you have chosen LibreOffice you can still get support here.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RoryOF wrote:Opens correctly for me, giving 9 pages of tables.
+1 on Windows 10 with LO 7.0.5.2.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your file works fine me with AOO. I can scroll freely, edit freely in and out of the tables and press Enter unlimited times.

It is almost certainly a problem with your profile caused by a PC crash and resetting the profile would have fixed it. Did you try resetting the profile?

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is much Direct Formatting, use of empty paragraphs to space the tables into position on the pages; also many unnecessary spaces before table entries.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS