Another stealth spam

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
acknak

Another stealth spam

Post by acknak »

This one:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=69151

Is clearly here to push a commercial product. It's all text, no links, but they've done nothing here but post recommendations for this product.

Banned; moved all posts to quarantine--after checking that it would not damage the threads (most were last posts in the thread).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Re: Another stealth spam

Post by RoryOF »

Good catch, acknak. I looked at the grammar checker this morning and didn't think it was any good. At least there were not live links in the postings.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

A quick test of that product, in my opinion, gave it a big fail. My test was on the sentence "Ill be write their", with the intention to see if the corrected copy showed "I'll be right there"... They suggested "Ill be writing their".. which is still grammatically incorrect.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I generally avoid checking the spammed product. I figure if they're willing to use spam, who knows what kind of malicious web site or product they're pushing. If it was an above-board product, they wouldn't be spamming it.

I hope no one feels any responsibility to investigate the stuff that people mention or recommend here.

And, just to be clear, I don't see a problem with people recommending commercial software here; the only problem I see is when someone comes here for no reason other than to shill for something.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

+1
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

acknak wrote:I generally avoid checking the spammed product. I figure if they're willing to use spam, who knows what kind of malicious web site or product they're pushing. If it was an above-board product, they wouldn't be spamming it.

I hope no one feels any responsibility to investigate the stuff that people mention or recommend here.

And, just to be clear, I don't see a problem with people recommending commercial software here; the only problem I see is when someone comes here for no reason other than to shill for something.
I quite agree. I often check the linked site just to be sure; because I'm using linux I don't worry about it. Usually a glance is sufficient to confirm any suspicions. Sometimes a recommendation for a product, be it commercial or FOSS , can be helpful.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS