Usernames

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
RusselB

Usernames

Post by RusselB »

I reported a post where the username had an e-mail format. One of the moderators did edit the post to handle that situation.
When I was looking at the stats for the forums, I noticed the Newest Member had the same type of username... specifically jfritchey1@gmail.com
I don't know what, if anything, can be done on a permanent basis, but, if possible, I'd suggest not allowing the @ symbol in a username
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Re: Usernames

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes we had a discussion some time ago about that. In fact we were supposed to advise each OP to change their username. I sent a bunch of PM but got very few replies so I let it go after some time.

Not sure if it's possible to forbid a character in such field.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I know it can be done, as other sites only allow alphabetic (a-z) and numeric (0-9) characters. Anything else is either ignored or causes an error.
Details as to how they do it, I have not a clue.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I'd be happy to see a big warning on the registration page, but I think that's as far as I'd go. If we inform users of the likely consequence (spam) and they still want to use their email address, that's their decision. I don't like restrictions (both in principle and the extra maintenance) unless they're necessary for the health of the forum.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with acknak. If a User uses an email address, having ignored the warning acknak suggests, on his own head be the spam flood.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS