Usernames

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum

Usernames

Postby RusselB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:17 pm

I reported a post where the username had an e-mail format. One of the moderators did edit the post to handle that situation.
When I was looking at the stats for the forums, I noticed the Newest Member had the same type of username... specifically jfritchey1@gmail.com
I don't know what, if anything, can be done on a permanent basis, but, if possible, I'd suggest not allowing the @ symbol in a username
OpenOffice 4.1.6 and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: Usernames

Postby Hagar Delest » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Yes we had a discussion some time ago about that. In fact we were supposed to advise each OP to change their username. I sent a bunch of PM but got very few replies so I let it go after some time.

Not sure if it's possible to forbid a character in such field.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby RusselB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:27 pm

I know it can be done, as other sites only allow alphabetic (a-z) and numeric (0-9) characters. Anything else is either ignored or causes an error.
Details as to how they do it, I have not a clue.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby acknak » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:12 pm

I'd be happy to see a big warning on the registration page, but I think that's as far as I'd go. If we inform users of the likely consequence (spam) and they still want to use their email address, that's their decision. I don't like restrictions (both in principle and the extra maintenance) unless they're necessary for the health of the forum.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby RoryOF » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:14 pm

I agree with acknak. If a User uses an email address, having ignored the warning acknak suggests, on his own head be the spam flood.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Forum Governance