Help needed with crash on Mac while saving

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
floris v
Volunteer

Help needed with crash on Mac while saving

Post by floris v »

Somebody on the Dutch language forum reported that when he tries to save a file in another location than the default one, OO crashes. A similar case is this essentially unanswered topic: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=45795&p=211584&hil ... ve#p211584

I don't have a Mac so I can't help. Any suggestions other than downgrading or switching to other software?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
MrProgrammer

Re: Help needed with crash on Mac while saving

Post by MrProgrammer »

I daily use OpenOffice 3.2.0 Build 9483 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and have never had any trouble saving to whatever directory I want. This information may be equivalent to "downgrading" since I don't know what your poster uses. In my experience this is a very nice stable release for my Mac. I realize that later releases have additional features, but I've read about those and have decided that they aren't (yet) worth much to me. After 4.n.n has had some time to mature, I will install one of those releases in parallel with trusty 3.2 for many months, most likely to get the new RegEx engine. Even if I later remove 3.2, I intend to keep the its installation file around for "years".

Of course, for any unexplained strange behavior the first step would be to try running the application from the Mac's Guest account, because this will create a new user profile. The Guest account is enabled (at least on 10.6.8) via  > System Preferences > Accounts > Guest account > Allow guests. If the problem also occurs on the Guest account, the user's original profile is still untouched and unnecessary loss of customization is avoided. If the problem goes away, this suggests that user profile corruption was the cause. (On a Mac, signing off the Guest account deletes all the Guest's files, so each Guest receives a virgin account with no garbage or customization from previous guests. This is a very useful facility.)
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).