Can we have easily accessible "quick responses"?

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
keme
Volunteer

Can we have easily accessible "quick responses"?

Post by keme »

I find that when I answer a question, I frequently have to search for previous solutions and/or ready-made answers. Is it possible to have an additional selection box to insert frequently used text/links.
I am thinking of content such as:
  • link to forum rules/guidelines
  • how to reset your OpenOffice profile (link)
  • how to report/vote for a bug (link)
  • What additional info could be helpful in order to reach a solution (list of typical info required, posted inline - not a link - so it can be adjusted for the case at hand.)
This would help to work more efficiently towards quite a number of questions. In a situation where time is tight, efficiency may be the deciding factor that allows me - and perhaps others - to post an answer instead of abandoning it (thinking that "I don't have the time, someone else will surely respond...").

I have seen a few other web apps with this kind of tool available. In our context I guess it would only be in the way for the regular user, and perhaps clutter on smaller screens (mobile devices), so it should probably be enabled only for volunteers and higher "ranks".
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
acknak

Re: Can we have easily accessible "quick responses"?

Post by acknak »

I just have a text file l crib from.

At one time, I used a browser extension that provided autotext-like shortcuts: type ".pro" in the forum message box, it expands to
[url=http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 74&t=12426][Tutorial] The OOo user profile[/url]

That was great (for me at least) but the extension is not supported and doesn't work with current versions; now I just use the configuration file as my cheat sheet ;-)

If I had a magic wand, I would point people to FAQ pages, either our own for forum issues--like the survival guide--or the OO wiki FAQ. However, that requires interaction with the wiki and having that extra layer makes it less practical. Even having FAQ topics here requires some extra work creating the topics; I find it easy enough to just answer the question again. I think that's often preferable for the user as well.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I don't know if there is such phpMOD available for that.
Personally, I use the Clippings extension in Firefox and the links are also stored in a draft PM in case I'm not on my usual machine.

Here are my clippings:
Clippings

Code: Select all

[Solved]
[Solved] 

Please add '[Solved]'
Please add [b][Solved][/b] at the beginning of the title in your [b]first post[/b] (top of the topic) with the [rel=viewtopic.php?f=5&t=166#p717][u]edit[/u] button[/rel] if your issue has been fixed.

[rel=][/rel]
[rel=][/rel]

OUCV - Spell checking
[rel=viewtopic.php?t=16512][Troubleshooting] Spell check in OOo 3.x[/rel]

OUCV - OOo install on Debian
[rel=viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68][Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.[/rel]

OUCV - Reset User profile
[rel=viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403]reset your OpenOffice user profile[/rel].

OUCV - Attach file
(see [rel=viewtopic.php?f=74&t=8289]How to attach a document here[/rel])?

OUCV - Reporting bugs
[rel=viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13490][Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions[/rel].

OUCV - User profile
[rel=viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426][Tutorial] The User Profile[/rel]

OUCV - Survival guide
Please read the [[rel=viewtopic.php?f=5&t=166]Survival Guide for the forum[/rel].

OUCV - Signature
(see [rel=viewtopic.php?f=74&t=24298]How to update your software information signature[/rel]).

Mod - Descriptive title
[color=#FF0000]Title Edited. [rel=viewtopic.php?f=5&t=166#p716]A descriptive title for posts[/rel] helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (XXXX, Moderator).[/color]

Mod - E-mail removed...
[color=#FF0000]E-mail removed, nobody will reply by mail and it will avoid spam bots to register your address (XXXX, Moderator).[/color]
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Didn't think about using the draft mode to "park" a repository. :oops:
Thanks!
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hagar Delest wrote:... I use the Clippings extension in Firefox ...
Nice! I'm giving that one a try. Thanks for the tip!
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I have used the Clippings extension for quite a while now, but I recently lost all items, maybe after running CCleaner. Though tools like that are a great help, the fact remains that every single volunteer has to repeat all actions to collect those items. A drop-down list under a button on the page would be cool indeed and would save people a lot of work.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

floris v wrote:I have used the Clippings extension for quite a while now, but I recently lost all items, maybe after running CCleaner.
Strange, the list is kept as a file in your Windows account (usually at the root folder of the account, on level above My Documents as clipdat2.rdf or something like that). There is also a hidden folder .clipbak with regular backups or in the roaming profile, don't remember exactly, I'm not on my Windows machine.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Wonderful, Hagar! It's there, but Clippings can apparently no longer access it.
 Edit: Solved. Changing the Data source in the options fixed it. Bliss :D 
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

The Clippings FF add-on is something I still miss when I moved to Chrome. Can't find anything that works as smoothly as that used to.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust