[Solved] [Proposal] Forum Announcements

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
imacat
Site Admin

[Solved] [Proposal] Forum Announcements

Post by imacat »

Hi,

I would like to ask if it is OK for everyone to put the announcements that came from ooo-announce as global posts/announcements on all the forums? Each forum can have their own announcements, of course. But globally, things from the OpenOffice announcement list should be announcements of the forums, too.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Hagar Delest

Re: [PROPOSAL] Forum Announcements

Post by Hagar Delest »

Personally, I'm ok with that.
I've taken the initiative to make the graduation a global post since it's a major achievement.
But I propose to remove some of them once they are not relevant anymore (I've un-stickified your topics about the fee discounts for example) or when they are quite old. Target being to avoid cluttering the top area of the indexes.

We should also limit the number of announcements, not all of them are worth publishing here I guess.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree, subject to Hagar's restrictions.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

In my opinion global announcements should present current informations concerned with usage of the forum and important for all users. The less number of such messages, the better.

Honestly speaking, I recognized several recent announcements as abusive. They were important for the Foundation, for some volunteers, an generally for autopromotion, but not for all users to be noticed at each access. They should have been exposed on the forums in definitely more restricted manner. Maybe separate "OO Community / Announcements" category would be best choice?

I don't know how administration of multiple forums is organized in details, and then how easy it is to synchronize treatment of several categories that belong to different forums.
Last edited by Jan_J on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I find the practice tiresome because I follow certain boards via RSS feeds and see the same posts appearing time and again.

There is a board for announcements and that IMO is where they should be.

If it is necessary to populate all boards with announcements, I believe they should be treated as announcements and the threads locked so that no one else can post to them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree about the thread locking.

A new release, a security update, or a request for input towards a new release are all valid announcements, in my opinion. Also significant status info on the overall project, as for example a change in status of the holding organisation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

I've thought it might be nice if we could automatically mirror the project-wide announcements that normally go out by email. I'm one example that doesn't get those but I'd like to see them sometimes.

But I would not like to see that be a globally-visible forum announcement thread where most of the announcements are not important to most users. Pushing unwanted information at people is rude and they will just learn to ignore it.

I think I've seen in other forums that some announcement forums are automatically set to display "most-recent first". I don't know if phpBB can do that or not, but if it could, it might be nice to have a forum where all the project announcements could be mirrored here. As long as a forum user gets the most recent things first, then it could be useful--having to page through all announcements from the last six months just to catch up would be a drag.

For announcements that all/most users should know about, then they can be posted as announcements/stickies globally or in sub-forums, as appropriate for the subject.
 Edit: PS: 
Oops, I just remembered, the announcements are available through the mail archive web interface; I (or anyone) can get them there. We don't need to store them here as well. Scratch that idea.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

The Spanish and Italian forums have a dedicated area for announcements. I think this approach is far better than global threads: you read the announcement forum only if you are interested on such project related announcements. I agree with Jan_J that filling the forums with announcements that only a fraction of our users is interested on it is a bit too much, almost like "spamming".

Global announcements are OK for forum related news, security issues and maybe for release announcements, but for everything else a dedicated place is a lot better.

Just my 2¢

Regards
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

+1 for RGB
Thx
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

+ 1 RGB
I have only now realised that the forum has no announcements board. Other forums I attend have one. The technique of posting on all boards is idiosyncratic at best.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
imacat
Site Admin

Post by imacat »

RGB wrote:The Spanish and Italian forums have a dedicated area for announcements. I think this approach is far better than global threads: you read the announcement forum only if you are interested on such project related announcements. I agree with Jan_J that filling the forums with announcements that only a fraction of our users is interested on it is a bit too much, almost like "spamming".

Global announcements are OK for forum related news, security issues and maybe for release announcements, but for everything else a dedicated place is a lot better.

Just my 2¢

Regards
This sounds a good idea. How many forums do not have an announcement board yet? Is there anyone against this?

P.S. Sorry I found I posted this disscussion on a wrong board. This thread should be posted on "forum governance", not "site feedback". ^^;
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

imacat wrote:P.S. Sorry I found I posted this disscussion on a wrong board. This threads should be posted on "forum governance", not "site feedback". ^^;
Being an administrator, you can move anything anywhere you like.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
imacat
Site Admin

Post by imacat »

Villeroy wrote:
imacat wrote:P.S. Sorry I found I posted this disscussion on a wrong board. This threads should be posted on "forum governance", not "site feedback". ^^;
Being an administrator, you can move anything anywhere you like.
You're right. Thank you. ^_*'
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

imacat wrote:This sounds a good idea. How many forums do not have an announcement board yet? Is there anyone against this?
PL: http://forum.openoffice.org/pl/forum/viewforum.php?f=49 (Ogłoszenia)
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
floris v
Volunteer

Re: [Proposal] Forum Announcements

Post by floris v »

The Dutch Forum announcements forum is at http://forum.openoffice.org/nl/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have created a new forum: Announcements in the Community section. No nice icon for it right now, I don't have access to that area of the server so can't help.

I've moved some topics already, don't hesitate to warn if others need to be moved (in or out of it).
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:No nice icon for it right now
On ES forums we use /styles/prosilver/imageset/announce_unread.gif:

There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Looks fine for me with the announce pic.
But "The specified forum image does not exist": we need imacat to make a copy in the folder where are stored the icons...
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Sign-Information.png
Sign-Information.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 18078 times
Information sign is blue in many countries.

The FR Forum announcements forum is at http://forum.openoffice.org/fr/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:Looks fine for me with the announce pic.
But "The specified forum image does not exist": we need imacat to make a copy in the folder where are stored the icons...
Strange, on the ES forums it works without problems. You need to write

/styles/prosilver/imageset/announce_unread.gif

on the forum image box, when editing the forum properties.

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hagar Delest wrote:But "The specified forum image does not exist": we need imacat to make a copy in the folder where are stored the icons...
My bad, I had not given the full address of the pic. So I've put the red info pic (I prefer the blue one, less "aggressive") but that one is not in the available icons for the EN forum.