[Solved] Banner image?

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
RGB

Re: Banner image?

Post by RGB »

floris v wrote:These comments by Jan are, by the way, what I wanted to write all along when I went on about the Marketing department, but it came out all wrong. And while we as content providers may not care much about pixel perfection of logos, other people do
Hagar and I presented the problem to both, the deb and the marketing mailing lists and got no answer. Maybe we can call the "lazy consensus" here ;)

Anyway, there are two things to consider:

1- There is no warranty that the "official logo" for the project we have today will survive the AOO 4.0 transition. As a matter of facts there are discussions to change it again on a future so arguments like fonts and colours are not determinant, IMO.

2- The "product" we offer here is different from the product offered by the project as a whole: we provide support for the program, not the program. On this situation a logo that is different but still recognisable is a "good thing", IMO.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Correct, if they don't answer, that's not lazy consensus, it's just lazy. So, go ahead - unless you want to try a few fine-tunings like the one(s) I suggested.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

+1 for floris_v
Tuning is appreciable. I think that a time spent upon design will not be lost.
After several experiments I guess that problem is in font: kerning in Liberation is not good enough. But I may be wrong.
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I may be missing something, but when I zoom in a lot (or don't zoom in), I don't see any difference between text with pair kerning on or off - in a wide set of fonts. Changing the spacing does have an effect.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

I have prepared a pattern of the logo in SVG format.
It was going through PDF export from Draw, import into InkScape, saving pure SVG and some code cleanup.
I am not very happy with what I got with the background gradient, but maybe someone will improve this. Maybe even me, but not today.

The pattern uses Liberation Sans ans Swiss 721 SWA fonts, as in original by acknak.

Then I prepared text file with bottom descriptions for the NL forums. It contains: language codes (used in output file names), language names (unused), the descriptions, and letter distance parameters for the languages.

Finally, a Python script generates all NL logos. Simply run it; the content of out/ directory will be refreshed.
The output SVGs can be easily converted to pdf or png, e.g. using InkScape's batch mode.

Even if formatting of descriptions is currently not perfect, now there's a tool to control it precisely in coherernt manner.

The files are unofficial. Any remarks appreciable.
Attachments
mklogos.zip
(35.39 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Last edited by Jan_J on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I don't like the last proposal. Making Apache aligned with the O makes an empty space at right and gives the impression of an unbalanced logo.
I' looked at the AOO logo on the main website and the Apache is clearly indented, more than in acknak's proposal. Here is my proposal below.
AOO-forum-logo-en.png
What about doing the change ASAP and discuss the bells and whistles later?
We need to do something now.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

What about doing the change ASAP and discuss the bells and whistles later?
We need to do something now.
I don't agree with that. When the logo goes live, it should be fine with everybody who cares, and it should meet some quality standards (not necessarily in that order). Chances that a live logo will still be improved are small - it's too much fuss, considering that it's also a matter of taste. We can surely take a few more days to think this over, after all the project wasn't renamed after the new update appeared but after the new name was decided on, and that was months ago. We will make a bad impression on people caring for such things by publishing a new logo and then changing it again after a few days or weeks.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, the change is hardly noticeable if the last issue is the indent.

So what's next?

I vote for a slightly increased indent in acknak's proposal (i.e. mine or another proposal if someone finds a better balance).
acknak

Post by acknak »

+1 for moving ahead with what we have.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

acknak wrote:+1 for moving ahead with what we have.
+1 from me too.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Let's move on with what we have. It is very likely there will be a major AOO branding change before or to coincide with AOO 4.0, which may make current choices redundant, but let us make them for the intervening period.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RGB

Post by RGB »

Some time passed without further complains. Can we move forward with this and with the download icon?

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OK.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I'd PMed imacat on June 14 about that.
I just sent a mail.
RGB

Post by RGB »

OK, thanks Hagar for the update.

On a side note... on the same page were the banner text is defined, there is an entry for the "page name" or something like that (don't remember now): that text shows on the browser's title bar and now reads "OpenOffice.org Community Forum"

imacat
Site Admin

Post by imacat »

Sorry that it took me some time to get back to this thread.

I'm not a designer, but I personally prefer Acknak's work, as it looks like our current OpenOffice logo.
http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_lo ... 2_copy.png
However, Acknak needs to present a banner of size 450×77.

And RGB: Can you present the ES banner in 450×77? Thank you.
RGB

Post by RGB »

imacat wrote:Sorry that it took me some time to get back to this thread.

I'm not a designer, but I personally prefer Acknak's work, as it looks like our current OpenOffice logo.
http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_lo ... 2_copy.png
However, Acknak needs to present a banner of size 450×77.

And RGB: Can you present the ES banner in 450×77? Thank you.
As far as I can see, all images offered by ackack on a previous message on this thread (and stored on this server) are 450x77, including the Spanish version.

acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes, the links from RGB are the last versions I made, and are the same size (450x77) as the current banner.

There are two files for the Dutch-language forum (-nl, -nla). I don't know if there is a preference for one over the other: you choose ;-)

Thanks again for your help!
imacat
Site Admin

Post by imacat »

Sorry I did not notice there has been several pages of discussion. ^^; And sorry for the late response.

The logos are updated. Please tell me if there is still any question.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Thanks imacat!
Looks fine.
RGB

Re: [Solved] Banner image?

Post by RGB »

Perfect! Now for the download icon... ;)

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I just noticed that there is a sligh difference in the colors around the pic. Would it be better if the background was transparent? See the edges of the banner pic (I've highlighted the right one but left and bottom are visible too).
Banner.png
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ouch. I forgot to check on that.

I made the background gradient by sampling the colors at top and bottom but of course there's no guarantee that the "shape" of the gradient in between is exactly the same; in fact, it's almost sure not to be. I just never checked that closely. We'd probably need to make a new background image with the same gradient to get the whole banner to match perfectly.

Personally, I didn't notice the difference, although I can see it now that I know it's there. It doesn't seem terribly obvious or distracting.

My suggestion is that we should just leave it for now and fix it with the anticipated changes coming from the marketing folks.
RGB

Post by RGB »

acknak wrote:Personally, I didn't notice the difference, although I can see it now that I know it's there. It doesn't seem terribly obvious or distracting.

My suggestion is that we should just leave it for now and fix it with the anticipated changes coming from the marketing folks.
+1

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1. No big deal indeed.
Note that I'm not sure we will hear about marketing folks soon.
RGB

Post by RGB »

I'm seeing some problems with the image. For example, Firefox renders it with different colours (left Konqueror, right FireFox):
KvsFF.png
Then, if I download the gif file from the site I cannot open it: gimp says the gif filter cannot interpret the file, same with Krita and KDE image viewer (gwenview) says the file metadata is wrong.

acknak

Post by acknak »

Maybe it's something to do with the file name? The image file name (and MIME type from the server) indicate GIF but the image file content is still in PNG format:
  • $ wget http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/styles/prosilver/imageset/new_logo_forum_en.gif
    --2012-07-09 10:30:03-- http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/styles/prosilver/imageset/new_logo_forum_en.gif
    Resolving user.services.openoffice.org... 140.211.11.67
    Connecting to user.services.openoffice.org|140.211.11.67|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 12790 (12K) [image/gif]
    Saving to: “new_logo_forum_en.gif

100%[======================================>] 12,790 68.1K/s in 0.2s

2012-07-09 10:30:03 (68.1 KB/s) - “new_logo_forum_en.gif” saved [12790/12790]

$ file new_logo_forum_en.gif
    new_logo_forum_en.gif: PNG image data, 450 x 77, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
    $ identify new_logo_forum_en.gif
    new_logo_forum_en.gif PNG 450x77 450x77+0+0 8-bit DirectClass 12.8KB 0.010u 0:00.009
My guess is that renaming the files to ".png" would fix the problem.
RGB

Post by RGB »

acknak wrote:My guess is that renaming the files to ".png" would fix the problem.
Right, but firefox still shows wrong colours... For example, for the big dove Firefox shows (R;G;B) 160; 197; 235 while konqueror and other browsers shows 155; 206; 232

Is someone else seeing that?

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

My screenshot above has been made with FF 14 (beta 9 I think). So it looks fine on my Ubuntu system.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:My screenshot above has been made with FF 14 (beta 9 I think). So it looks fine on my Ubuntu system.
Weird...

Googling a bit, I entered in "about:config" and changed

Code: Select all

gfx.color_management.mode                       from 2 to 0 
gfx.color_management.rendering_intent           from 0 to -1
disabling colour management on firefox... and now everything looks OK! :ucrazy: