[Solved] Spam - timeout on postings?

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
RoryOF

[Solved] Spam - timeout on postings?

Post by RoryOF »

Might the spam floods we are experiencing be limited by arranging a timeout, so that one could not post another posting for a short time (perhaps 60 seconds) after an earlier posting? This ought not interfere with Volunteers, as we mostly need that length of time to consider a posting and write a reply. [thinks: it might affect Hagar, who uses some ready written replies for common queries].
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Spam - timeout on postings?

Post by floris v »

I'm wondering why we see so much spam for TV series. But I suppose that the timeout could be restricted to normal users.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Hagar said these are coming from two or three IP numbers. Perhaps either they should be banned totally or subscriptions from them individually approved.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

It might help, and it might not - if they are also spamming in the old forum, where I just deleted nine TV series ads. :(
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RoryOF wrote:Hagar said these are coming from two or three IP numbers.
I haven't checked the IP addresses. I was talking more generally about the site they were promoting (I think you're talking about the monthly report).
I checked the time of their posting and there is a minute gap but sometimes it's 2 to 3 minutes.

I think we should deactivate hyperlinks in signature for registered users (or less than 50 posts for example).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

+1, we have been discussing that for some time, better implement it.
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

floris v wrote:I'm wondering why we see so much spam for TV series. But I suppose that the timeout could be restricted to normal users.
This is since Megaupload.com has been shut down which accounted for 4% of all internet traffic, mainly movies and music.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Villeroy wrote:
floris v wrote:I'm wondering why we see so much spam for TV series. But I suppose that the timeout could be restricted to normal users.
This is since Megaupload.com has been shut down which accounted for 4% of all internet traffic, mainly movies and music.
Thank you, that explains it. Down with internet censorship! :lol:
Nederlandstalig forum