[Solved] Shoud I move to LibreOffice?

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
happyticker
Banned

[Solved] Shoud I move to LibreOffice?

Post by happyticker »

I'm currently using apache openoffice, and to be honest I'm thinking of moving to ms office due to limitations I'm facing with openoffice. Does libreoffice has a really big difference? should I give it a try?
Last edited by happyticker on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
[url=httpxs://softati.com/openoffice-free-download/]OpenOffice[/url] 4.1.7 on Windows 10 64 bit ..
robleyd

Re: Shoud I move to LibreOffice?

Post by robleyd »

Just try it and see if it does what you want. Or you could ask about the limitations you are finding, and whether you will face the same in LO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you expect a third party program to be an exact clone of MS Office, you will be disappointed.

It's like buying a car: if you buy a car and expect it to work, look and feel like a <insert Brand here>, then you should buy a <insert Brand here> in the first place.

If on the other hand, you require it to take you about, it will do the job just as well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lmstearn

Post by lmstearn »

What comes up in Google is that LibreOffice takes up about twice the disk space as does AOO. It also seems that LibreOffice undergoes many times the development AOO has- what's the saying about too many cooks?. The Wikipedia content for LibreOffice is larger then that of AOO.
AOO has always done the job for me, but then my requirements are modest, and knowledge of AOO is limited (LibreOffice it is zero).
Shame about the AOO GUI auto updates though- Some AOO devotees would like to think it is the fault of you_know_what. Just saying. 8-)
Edit: Oops on the Updates- Must have uninstalled Java for it not to work.
OpenOffice 4.13 on Windows 10!
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

If you don't tell us what those limitations are and what you want, we can't tell you what you should do.
On Windows, LibreOffice does install language packs for all languages that it supports, IIRC, so that takes up some more disk space. But that shouldn't be a problem with the current disk sizes.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If I remember correctly, you can deselect the update notification in the Windows installer. If you run the installer of your currently installed version, you get an option to repair/modify the current installation and there you can add/remove things. It is always a mistake to not install any of the main components Writer, Calc, Impress and Draw.

Meanwhile LibreOffice is the better product even though it has some useless anti-features. Most OpenOffice developers switched to LibreOffice and they improved the whole development process to make this monster application accessible to a wider range of potential developers. So yes, sometimes there are too many cooks and a lack of quality managment. By and large progress is a good thing.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
openofficerr

Re: [Solved] Shoud I move to LibreOffice?

Post by openofficerr »

Of course, you should do. Libreoffice is more stable and more advanced. Also, support of ms office documents is better. And, the top reason, is the better user interface.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 + Libreoffice 6.4.1