Switching to Libre Office

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
ank

Switching to Libre Office

Post by ank »

I have a number of frames page formats and and typefaces used in OO that do not cross over to Libre Office. Don't know about standardisation but it's not full.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Mac OSX forum to LibreOffice
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Mac OS10.14
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: switching to Libre Office

Post by Villeroy »

ank wrote:I have a number of frames page formats and and typefaces used in OO that do not cross over to Libre Office. Don't know about standardisation but it's not full.
This should never happen. If this happens to you, it would be important to pass some of these documents over to the development team of LibreOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Trying to install 4.1.7

Post by RoryOF »

What is the format used? If not .odt, then that may be the problem, as the transfer filters for non native formats differ between OO and LibO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ank

Post by ank »

Nothing particularly special, one might think. I have a manuscript based on Letter page with formatted margins down to trade paperback. Almost every page has a frame insert with its own formatting including dropped capital 'n stuff. None of this accurately translates over to Libre office which also does not recognise a font I use (skia) even though it is in the font table.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

File format used, please?
ank

Post by ank »

odt
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is Libreoffice on the same computer?
ank

Post by ank »

Just to add I have been writing this book for about 6 years ad I have made attempts to translate its design over to both word docx and to libra office but without much success so have kept to the odt and open office that I began the whole business with.
ank

Post by ank »

Yes libre office is on the same computer.
ank

Post by ank »

For anyone listening, I use a 2012 MacBook pro with 10.14+ OS and Libre Office is pretty slow to load, much slower than OpenOffice.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

LibreOffice is pretty slow to load, much slower than OpenOffice.
What is slow on your machine? Do you mean
- the applications (launched without any document) ?
- or the documents (opened from a running application)?
- or when the application will be launched together with a document?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Re: Switching to Libre Office

Post by RoryOF »

It would be helpful if you uploaded a short .odt file, say of two or three pages, so that we might look at your layout. We may be able to suggest a different approach which might help resolve problems.
ank

Post by ank »

Libre office slow to load vis a vis open office with whatever files but certainly slower than open office for the 500 pahe.manuscript that it doesn't format the same as oo
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We can make no helpful suggestion without sight of some of the formatting, in .odt format, not merely a screenshot.

I have one and two thousand page documents that load quickly in OpenOffice; I have no need to try them with LibreOffice.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I just timed opening a fan fiction book, that was converted from PDF using Zamzar, total pages 3071. Opening time using OpenOffice 2.4 seconds. Using LibreOffice 2.5 seconds.
A difference of 0.1 seconds for over 3000 pages... pretty insignificant, imo.
BTW: This was timed by opening Writer, then using File -> Open to open the actual text file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I tested with a 740 A5 (US brochure equivalent) page file, plain but correct book formatting, 200K words. Double clicking on this across my home network to cause it to start-up OpenOffice, opened ready for editing in five seconds.
ank

Post by ank »

For my particular file 33.6 MB with illustrations opens in OpenOffice (default) that is, double clicking on the file name, in just under 3 minutes. Doing the same electing Libre Office to open it took 9 minutes. Also illustrations have less resolution and while LO does load skia after all, the character spacing of the fonts are uneven. LO also quits very much more slowly than OO. Don't know where to load screen shots in this forum so this is all I shall say on the matter.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

For my particular file 33.6 MB with illustrations opens in OpenOffice (default) that is, double clicking on the file name, in just under 3 minutes. Doing the same electing Libre Office to open it took 9 minutes. Also illustrations have less resolution and while LO does load skia after all, the character spacing of the fonts are uneven. LO also quits very much more slowly than OO. Don't know where to load screen shots in this forum so this is all I shall say on the matter.
Always use optimized pictures in your documents.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

ank wrote:Don't know where to load screen shots in this forum so this is all I shall say on the matter.
Use the Post Reply or Full Editor buttons; the Upload Attachment tab is below and to the left of the Submit button on those screens. Please give us a small .odt file _NOT_ a screenshot.