Lost my profile settings

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
prr

Lost my profile settings

Post by prr »

I just updated to Windows 10 1809, and after opening up LibreOffice, all my modifications (web view, default icons for toolbars, toolbars all on one row, customized icons I had put on toolbar) were all gone, and it appeared to be a vanilla new installation.

I probably shouldn't have done this, but I did see a notification for a new update, so I chose to install that (6.1.6.3; I think the older version was 6.0.xx).

Problem persists.

Is there any way I can get my old settings back?

I have not saved any profile settings to a backup folder, although I'd like some information on doing that, IF this could help save me some time if this happened in the future.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Lost my profile settings

Post by RoryOF »

Look in the LibreOffice User profile and see if there is an older folder beside user. If so, that may hold your profile settings.

Did you update Windows with LibreOffice open?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
prr

Post by prr »

In the profile folder, I see 3 folders: User, Crash, and Cache.

Inside Crash is a dump.ini that has a modification date of 27 June.

(1) Should I click on it?
(2) Should I keep LO closed or open if I click on that file?

I don't believe I updated Windows with LO open... I'm pretty sure I shut everything down, but at this point I don't remember.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Any handling of those folders ought be done with LibreOffice (and the quickstarter if active) closed. Inspect the dump.ini file - I suspect it will only have tracing information for the crash, which probably was caused by the Windows or the LibreOffice update. Download ad use Recuva or Photorec to try to find a deleted user folder (only one needed). The profile and other custom information will be in that folder if you can recover it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
prr

Post by prr »

Correct about the dump.ini file--no settings in there, it had only a few lines of text.

I'm using Pandora recovery, but it can't seem to find any file that I type in that is inside my profile..... oh well
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10