Unable to download my documents

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
sucern

Unable to download my documents

Post by sucern »

In AOO all I have to do is select all, copy and paste on a different sheet. In LO, I made many pages of a journal. I can read them but I can't save them to another computer or to AOO, meaning a documennt that can be accessed and copied to. Right now I don't even have access to that MACMini. When I do get it, I want to erase the harddrive. But first I want to get the journal documents copied off. Any suggestions? I have an external harddrive from that computer, and it is possible I could access LO and retrieve those LO documents.
sucern
OpenOffice 3.0 MAC 10.5.8
RusselB

Re: unable to download my documents

Post by RusselB »

Did you save the files using the Open Document Format (.odt extension for Writer, as an example)?
If you did, then OpenOffice should be able to open those files directly.
The only exceptions that I can think of, are if the files (usually spreadsheet in my experience) contain functions that are in LibreOffice but not OpenOffice. Even in that case, the file(s) should still open, but you would see an error message where those functions are in the spreadsheet.
Transferring files from one computer to another is simply a matter of copying the files from the hard drive to a USB drive (most common method), remove the USB drive from the old computer ensuring that you use the USB removal protocols, then plug it into the new computer.

BTW: The sequence you describe for copying/pasting in AOO works exactly the same for me in LibreOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MrProgrammer

Re: unable to download my documents

Post by MrProgrammer »

sucern wrote:Right now I don't even have access to that MACMini. … But first I want to get the journal documents copied off. Any suggestions? I have an external harddrive from that computer, and it is possible I could access LO and retrieve those LO documents.
Connect the external drive to your computer. Copying documents between devices should be done with Finder, not with OpenOffice or LibreOffice. More detailed information about using Finder will be in Apple's documentation or Apple forums, not here.

Either before or after copying the documents, download and install OpenOffice/LibreOffice on your computer. If you install a new version be sure to update your forum signature (currently OpenOffice 3.0 MAC 10.5.8, both quite old) in User Control Panel → Profile → Edit Signature. [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q03/A03.

Once the files are copied to the new computer and the program is installed, open the files with OpenOffice/LibreOffice → File → Open. OpenOffice and LibreOffice use the same file formats.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).