[Solved] Language on status bar

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Grytpype

[Solved] Language on status bar

Post by Grytpype »

Can the language setting be changed from the status bar or some similarly convenient place? I've just had LibreOffice upgraded to 6.2.0.3 and it's no longer on the status bar. I can't find anything in Options that turns it on, or in Customise that gives it to me as a toolbar button. (And the tutorials on spelling checking and language choice don't seem to mention this point.) I don't want anything complex, just selecting the whole document and switching between UK and US English. Thanks.

Edit: Of course I can get to it through the menus, but that's repeated clicks away, or I can write a macro, but that's also time-consuming.
Last edited by Grytpype on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LibreOffice 6.2.0.3 on Windows 10 Pro, as of March 2019: just upgraded from 4.1.6.2
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Language on status bar

Post by jrkrideau »

I am using LO but I think so but it looks to me to be something Direct Formatting and may not be as using styles. However I have Russian and English in one sentence this way Да, Я энию. It was easyе and LO flags both mistakes. Still, I recommend Styles.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with jkrideau: dedicated paragraph or character styles for your differing languages are the best way. At present, only the text selected can be changed from one language to the other by using the status bar.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Grytpype wrote:Can the language setting be changed from the status bar or some similarly convenient place? I've just had LibreOffice upgraded to 6.2.0.3 and it's no longer on the status bar.
It's still on the Status Bar in LO 6.2.0.3 on Manjaro. Is View > Status Bar turned on?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Grytpype

Post by Grytpype »

I've clicked and right-clicked and hovered on everything on my status bar. It has:

Page m of n | mm characters, nn words | Default Style | blank space whose tooltip says Insert mode | icon for extending selection | disc icon for modified/saved | blank space for Document Signature | blank space with no tooltip or effects | icons for Multi-page view |resizing slider

(And yes I've just checked I copied 6.2.0.3 correctly.)
LibreOffice 6.2.0.3 on Windows 10 Pro, as of March 2019: just upgraded from 4.1.6.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It looks like the language selection might be buggy in LO 6.2.0.3. I right-clicked the Language setting in the Status Bar and selected "More" to open the Character dialog. When I clicked the Language box on the dialog, a list opened that extended from the top of the monitor screen to the bottom, displaying the first 30 or so languages in the list. Unfortunately the list had no scrollbar making it impossible to choose any of the languages outside the first 30 or so.

LO 6.2.0.3 is the version for early adopters and is lilkely to have bugs.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Uninstalling LO 6.2.0.3 and installing LO 6.1.5.2 on Manjaro fixed my problem with the language selection list. The list that appears in LO 6.1.5.2 is the normal small list with a scrollbar, not a full height list without a scrollbar. LO 6.1.5.2 is the version that has had more testing and is recommended for production environments.
r2openeimer

Post by r2openeimer »

I didn't have such problem when I worked with LO 6.1.5.2. I always back up the version in these cases. Sometimes it feels that there's no solution to simple problems. Go back to the version it worked for you because you'll lose less time than trying to figure out what to do. Even if it's so simple the status, I guess the problem with status bar and similar peripheral elements are often bugged in 0.3 versions, as it has been said. Cheers!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Grytpype

Post by Grytpype »

Okay, write that down to buggy version. Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately download and install is not one of my powers, and the IT person who did it yesterday is going quietly mad working his way round the office trying to fix the problems from 'upgrading' to Office 365. He must have thought I was mad when I said I wanted Libre/Open back, not the latest version of Word, but I need Writer for the proof-reading. I can switch the default for a few weeks rather than bug him right away for another download. This isn't really [Solved] then, but there's nothing more that can be done.