Can I add an "open file location" option to menu or toolbar?

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
prr

Can I add an "open file location" option to menu or toolbar?

Post by prr »

I often find that I want to go to the folder of a file that is open. I searched in the Customize dialog, but didn't see a way to bring this option into either a menu or a toolbar. Nor did I see an extension available on the AOO or LO extension sites.

Can this be done?
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Can I add an "open file location" option to menu or tool

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice always starts /File /Open in the directory of the current document. Why bother adding a button?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
prr

Post by prr »

Perhaps I want to look at other files in the same folder, or quickly rename the file.
RoryOF wrote:OpenOffice always starts /File /Open in the directory of the current document. Why bother adding a button?
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Do you mean that you want to open the file manager with the current directory selected?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
prr

Post by prr »

Yes--if by "current directory," you mean the folder location where the open file is located.
robleyd wrote:Do you mean that you want to open the file manager with the current directory selected?
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This works in the /File /Open of OpenOffice, not in the system File Manager.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

1. Open the File Manager and type the file name in the Search Box.

2. Select File > Save As. The path to the folder should be in the Address Bar on the Save As dialog.

3. Check the file name on the Taskbar. There used to be an "open file location" option there, but I don't recall exactly how to find it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

With the required file open

1. File > Save As ...

AOO opens a navigator window at the open file's location. You can rename files etc within that open window. Click Cancel when finished.

Note that you only see files of the the Save As ..., type, or .odt in the image.

File > Open ..., in AOO always opens at the last location at which a file was saved. To see all the files, save the current file and then go File > Open ... You can now see all the files.
Editing C:\...\Desktop\AOO\Test Files\test.odt.  <br />File &gt; Save As ..., opens at folder C:\...\Desktop\AOO\Test Files\
Editing C:\...\Desktop\AOO\Test Files\test.odt.
File > Save As ..., opens at folder C:\...\Desktop\AOO\Test Files\
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The Address Bar in the screen shot posted by John Ha is showing breadcrumbs instead of the path. Click in the blank space to the right of the breadcrumbs and the breadcrumbs will be replaced by the path which can be copied and pasted in the File Explorer Address Bar.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04